Vendors from SMU’s medical, legal, life insurance and retirement plans will be on hand to discuss your options at the University’s 2014 Human Resources Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 15.
You can learn more about health and savings plans, as well as the new LegalGUARD and PrivacyARMOR option, from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballrooms.
Flu shots will be available at the SMU Health Center station, and therapists from Dedman Center Recreational Sports will be on hand to provide chair massages. In addition, fitness instructors from the Center will give demonstrations of GroupX classes in Small Group Training, Zumba, Boot Camp and yoga.
Visitors can also check out Centennial Hall, the interactive exhibit in the Hughes-Trigg lower level featuring high points in SMU history and spotlighting faculty, staff, student and alumni excellence.
> Visit SMU Human Resources online
A focus on smart choices in both health care and lifestyle is the organizing principle of SMU’s 2010 Health and Wellness Day Oct. 21. Faculty and staff members can learn more about the University’s health plans, take their annual flu shots, get chair massages and more during the fair, scheduled for 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center’s lower level.
The “Focus on Education” theme reflects a trend toward “more preventive care and better consumerism of medical benefits and health care in general,” says Lorea Belle Seidel, associate director of human resources.
This year’s schedule:
- SMU & You: Partners in Healthcare, 9-9:15 a.m. – Jeff Strese, director of SMU Human Resources, leads an overview of the Partners in Healthcare concept and HR’s strategy to engage the campus community in dialogue about the impact of health care reform legislation at SMU.
- How to Choose the Right Medical Option, 9:15-10:30 a.m. – Sheri Starkey, director of total compensation and associate director of human resources, discusses the different medical options, how the deductibles work, and the potential cost savings of a higher-deductible option.
- Introduction to Medco: SMU’s New Prescription Drug Manager, 10:45-11:45 a.m. – Chad Lee, Medco representative, will explain the new vendor’s drug formularies and how consumers can save by asking about generic or preferred-brand medications.
- Heart Health: Preventing Heart Disease, noon-1 p.m. – Cardiologist Jeffrey Schussler of Baylor’s Jack and Jane Hamilton Heart and Vascular Hospital will talk about how a few lifestyle changes, plus a heart-healthy diet and exercise regimen, can help maintain a healthy heart for life.
- Introduction to Discovery Benefits: SMU’s New Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Administrator, 1:30-2:30 p.m. – Anna Tinkham, Discovery Benefits marketing coordinator, will discuss the potential tax benefits of an FSA and the new options – including a debit card to pay for qualified out-of-pocket expenses.
Faculty and staff members can sign up on site for free cholesterol and glucose screenings from Baylor’s Jack and Jane Hamilton Heart and Vascular Hospital, as well as for free skin cancer screenings from Consulting Dermatologic Specialists.
Massage therapists from SMU Recreational Sports will give free 10-minute chair massages with on-site signup.
In addition, Concentra will provide free health screenings to faculty and staff members who sign up in advance. Refer to the Concentra packet mailed to your home address or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
> Learn more at the Health and Wellness Day homepage
> Visit SMU Human Resources online