Originally published April 5, 2016.
The SMU Staff Association and President R. Gerald Turner invite all University staff members to the 2016 Staff Appreciation Day and President’s Picnic. The post-Commencement celebration takes place 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday, May 18 on the Clements Hall south lawn.
This year’s event will include the announcement of the 2015 President’s Staff Recognition Award winners, who were originally scheduled to be named at the postponed Staff Association Assembly and Recognition Ceremony in March.
For more information, contact Staff Association President Tim Norris, 214-768-4959.
> Visit the SMU Staff Association online: smu.edu/staffassociation
Four exceptional SMU staff members received 2011 President’s Staff Recognition Awards during the 2012 Staff Recognition Ceremony in McFarlin Auditorium. The honors recognize individuals who have shown outstanding performance, commitment, and ability.
In addition, the Staff Association presented the 2011 Loretta O’Reilly Hawkins Award to Tommy Newton, director of recruiting in Meadows School of the Arts. The award was endowed in 2005 by Loretta’s son, Dallas E. Hawkins II, to recognize and reward outstanding performance among University employees.
This year’s President’s Award recipients are:
- Cyndi Heath, certified medical assistant in the Memorial Health Center, received the President’s Award for New Employee Excellence, given to an individual who has been with SMU for one to three consecutive years.
- Cindy Gautreaux, project coordinator in Central University Libraries, received the President’s Award for Continuing Excellence, given to an individual who has been with the University for four or more consecutive years.
- Patricia Ann LaSalle, associate vice president and executive director of public affairs, received the President’s Award for Outstanding Leadership, given to a staff member who supervises one or more benefit-eligible employees and who “demonstrates exceptional leadership ability within his or her unit or across the University.”
- Niraj Bhagat, manager of information systems and environmental health and safety in the Office of Risk Management, received the President’s Award for Innovation, given to a staff member whose “creative, innovative ideas … significantly improve a work process or system or greatly increase the efficiency of an operation or unit.”
The event also honored the following staff members who celebrated their 25th SMU anniversaries this year:
- Carol Baker, Central University Libraries/Fort Burgwin Library, SMU-in-Taos
- Steve Collins, Head Coach, Women’s Swimming
- Patricia Feldman, Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center
- Janelle Hampton, Registrar/Academic Services, Perkins School of Theology
- Sam Ratcliffe, Central University Libraries/Jerry Bywaters Special Collections
- Billy Townsend, Special Events/Facility Services
- Michael Washington, Mail Central
Left in photo, SMU President R. Gerald Turner honored the winners at the 2012 Staff Recognition Ceremony (left to right): Cyndi Heath, Cindy Gautreaux, Patricia Ann LaSalle, Niraj Bhagat and Tommy Newton.