SMU’s 2012 Open Enrollment takes place Oct. 14-31, 2011. The Open Enrollment period is the only opportunity for SMU employees to make changes to benefits elections for the coming year, except for qualified life event changes.
Effective Jan. 1, 2012, SMU will no longer offer the $500 Deductible option to faculty and staff members. Faculty and staff members who carry this plan need to choose a new option during Open Enrollment 2012. There are no plan design changes to the remaining medical plan options or to the prescription drug plan.
As a result of rising health care costs, medical premiums will rise in 2012 at an average of 9.7 percent. The most significant increases will apply to the $1,000 Deductible option. There will be modest increases to the $2,000 and $2,500 options.
Premiums will remain the same for dental and vision coverage. Effective Jan. 1, 2012, the vision plan will offer enhanced retail frame and contact lens benefits, with the purchase allowance increasing from $105 to $130 for both.
In addition, SMU has chosen BlueCross BlueShield of Texas (BCBSTX) to replace Aetna as its new dental plan administrator. You will receive a new combined medical, dental and prescription plan ID card from BCBSTX if you participate in the medical and dental plan in 2012.
> Find more information in the 2012 Benefits Guide, available at HR’s Benefits U page
For 2012 open enrollment, you must take action for the following conditions:
- You are currently enrolled in the $500 Deductible medical option. If you are enrolled in this option, you may choose a new plan during the open enrollment period. If you do not choose a new plan, you will be enrolled automatically in the $1,000 Deductible option.
- You want to make changes to your current coverage, including adding or dropping dependents.
- You want to participate in one or both of the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) in 2012. All faculty and staff members must reconfirm their participation in an FSA even if they participated in an FSA in 2011.
- You want to participate in the Health Savings Account (HSA) in 2012. All faculty and staff members must reconfirm their participation in the HSA even if they participated in the HSA in 2011.
SMU uses a secure online open-enrollment application available through Access.SMU. To use the application:
- Enter your Access.SMU user ID and password as you normally would to review your pay statement.
- Click Benefits in the Employee Self-Service navigation on the right, then choose Benefits Enrollment to access your personalized Open Enrollment record.
- Be sure to read all instructions carefully before making elections for 2012.
More information on vendors and plan changes will be available at SMU’s 2011 Human Resources Fair, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Oct. 25 in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballrooms. Vendor representatives will be on hand to answer questions about your options.
Human Resources also offers guidance through face-to-face meetings with Benefits Department representatives. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact the Department of Human Resources, 214-768-3311.
> Find the 2012 Benefits Guide on the web