December 2011 brings a flurry of festivity to the Hilltop, including some of SMU’s most beloved annual traditions. Save the dates for these events:
• On Thursday, Dec. 1, SMU’s Perkins School of Theology celebrates its Advent/Christmas Worship Service in Perkins Chapel with readings and music from Perkins professors, students and alumni at two different times: 4 p.m and 8 p.m. This year’s service will center on Luke 2:10, “And the angel said, ‘Fear not…,'” and will address the nature of fear in our society and how the message of hope offered in the Gospels speaks to our circumstances today. Read more about the 2011 service and see a video from the 2010 service.
• The Student Foundation’s 2011 Celebration of Lights begins at 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4, on the University’s Main Quad. More than 100,000 decorative lights will fill the trees, luminarias will line the sidewalks, musicians will perform songs of the season, and SMU President R. Gerald Turner will follow a decades-old tradition of reading the Christmas story from the New Testament. Hot chocolate, apple cider and cookies will be served starting at 6:30. Watch slideshows of past Celebration of Lights ceremonies courtesy of SMU News.
Faculty and staff members also have the opportunity to sponsor a child’s campus visit for the celebration. The Student Foundation plans to invite 50 students from Dallas’ César Chávez Learning Center to the Hilltop for the holiday fun. Sponsors or sponsor groups will provide a gift and join the children before the ceremony for cookies, games and other activities. Learn more at Facebook or contact Jordan Kragen of the Student Foundation.
• The Guildhall at SMU hosts the Cohort 14 Exhibition and Graduation Friday, Dec. 16, at SMU-in-Plano. Graduating students in art creation, level design and programming will show their work.
• Business and civic leader (and SMU Trustee) Carl Sewell ’66 will give the address at the University’s 2011 December Graduation Ceremony at 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, in Moody Coliseum. Retired and current faculty members will assemble for procession no later than 9:45 a.m. in the Blanton Student Services Building lobby. Prior to the ceremony, a faculty breakfast will begin at 8:45 a.m. in the Blanton Building. RSVP online for the faculty breakfast and processional and learn more about the ceremony.
• President and Mrs. R. Gerald Turner will host their annual All-University Holiday Party 3:30-5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 19, in the Martha Procter Mack Ballroom, Umphrey Lee Center.