As SMU gears up for the 103rd May Commencement Convocation, don’t forget that the Moody Coliseum clear-bag policy is in effect for the ceremony. The policy’s safety rules restrict items that may be carried into the venue.
The only bags permitted in Moody will fit these specifications:
- those made of clear plastic, vinyl or PVC that do not exceed 12-by-6-by-12 inches,
- one-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc or similar), or
- small clutch bags (about the size of a hand) with or without a strap. The clutch does not have to be clear and may be carried separately or within an approved plastic bag.
The Office of the Registrar has distributed reminders about the policy to graduating seniors and their families. Items that are medically necessary and do not fit the clear-bag policy will be evaluated individually.
Things that visitors normally carry in pockets can still come into the coliseum in pockets – such as keys and cell phones.
The following items are prohibited from entering Moody Coliseum:
- Animals (except licensed service animals)
- Binocular cases
- Camera bags
- Cinch bags
- Computer bags
- Diaper bags
- Fanny packs
- Glass items
- Inflated balloons
- Knives of any size and type
- Laser pointers
- Purses larger than a small clutch
- Seat cushions with zippers, pockets or compartments
- Selfie sticks
- Stun guns
- Throwing objects
- Umbrellas (unless threat of rain or raining)
No outside food or drink is permitted in Moody Coliseum.
Note: Graduation candidates are not allowed to bring clear bags, food or drinks into Moody Coliseum, Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports, or the Crum Executive Education Center. A small clutch is permissible.