SMU is urging community members to take precautions against the flu, which is widespread in Texas and across the country. Faculty and staff members can help, both by taking care of their own health and by reminding students to take steps toward flu prevention.
WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY AND TAKE ADDITIONAL PRECAUTIONS
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after touching common surfaces such as door handles. Washing with soap and water is the preferred method, but if doing so is not possible, please use hand sanitizer or sterile wipes.
- When coughing or sneezing, cover your mouth with either a disposable tissue or a sleeve, and avoid touching your face.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Get plenty of rest to keep the immune system working at its best.
- Be aware of flu symptoms, including fever with cough or sore throat, runny nose, body aches, headache, fatigue and sometimes vomiting or diarrhea.
WHAT TO DO IF SICK WITH THE FLU
- Stay home and limit contact with others until you no longer have a fever (a temperature of less than 100.5 F) for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Seek medical attention if experiencing acute symptoms such as body aches, cough or a fever of more than 100.5 F. For after-hours care options near campus, click here. In case of emergency, call 911 or visit a hospital emergency room.
- Students with the flu should email their professors as soon as possible and let them know they have the flu.
- If symptoms get worse after you have been on medication for three or four days, return to your healthcare provider to make sure you have not developed a secondary infection.
- Those with chronic health conditions, such as asthma, or those who experience complications should call the Health Center at 214-768-2141.
TO ORDER MEALS FOR PICKUP BY A FRIEND
Resident students who have flu-like symptoms may order meals by phone from Arnold Dining Commons or Lee and have a friend pick up the meals from the location. Students may order food off the menu of the day, including soup. Students should provide their name and ID number when calling. The meals will be deducted from their meal plan. To order a meal, students may call:
- Arnold: 214-768-2377 or 214-768-2343
- Lee: 214-768-3922