Calendar Highlights: Mustang Must-do’s for April 8, 2016

KATIEJUSTINERelay for Life: SMU will celebrate its 13th year of participation in Relay for Life, an American Cancer Society fundraiser where volunteers walk or run for pledged donations, on Bishop Boulevard from 6 p.m. to midnight Friday, April 8. The opening ceremony is at 6 p.m., followed by a survivors and caregivers lap around the Boulevard at 6:10 p.m. Luminarias will be lit at 9 p.m. to remember loved ones lost to cancer and support people who are fighting the disease or have fought cancer in the past. Closing ceremonies will take place at 11:45 p.m.

My Barbarian, An Artist Collective: As apart of the Visiting Artist Lecture Series, My Barbarian, an LA and New York-based trio whose performances enact historical narratives and rehearse social situations, will give a free lecture on Monday, April 11 at 7 p.m. in Owen Fine Arts Center, room B600. The group draws on performance art, political theater, queer camp, institutional critique, folk plays, musicals and music videos to construct playful performances that encourage both imagination and presence. The lecture was co-organized with Pastelegram and the Visual Arts Center in the Department of Art and Art History at UT Austin.

Double Agency, Photo by Robbie Acklen, 2015 (copywrite) My Barbarian
Double Agency, Photo by Robbie Acklen, 2015 ©My Barbarian

Public intellectuals, a round-table discussion: “Public intellectuals” bring complex ideas to the public sphere, advancing the cause of human knowledge for as wide a public as possible. Join two prominent public intellectuals, anthropologist Tanya Luhrmann and neuroscientist Marco Iacoboni, on Wednesday, April 13 as they share their groundbreaking research and discuss strategies for public engagement and the translation of research for audiences outside the academy. The event will be held in Heroy Hall, room 153 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and is sponsored by the DCII’s Faculty Seminar Beyond Two Cultures: Reconciling Science and Humanities. Click here for more information.

International Film Festival. The 2016 film festival theme focuses on the immigrant experience, including films in Arabic, Chinese, French, Italian, and Spanish. All films will be shown in McCord Auditorium from April 6 to April 22, however, the last movie on April 22 will be shown on the South Quad Lawn of McElvaney Residential Commons.

The festival is sponsored by the Department of World Languages and Lituratures, French Club, Spanish Club, Chinese Area and Italian Club, and the McElvaney Residential Commons. Screenings are free and open to the public. 

> See the full schedule of films here.

Organ Studio Spring Concert: Organ students of Stefan Engels will present a recital Thursday, April 7 at 7:30 with works from Johann Sebastian Bach’s monumental Clavier-Übung Part III, which is considered to be Bach’s theological testament in organ music. The concert will be held in Caruth Auditorium and is free and open to the public.

> For more information call 214.768.2787