As Fall Semester 2014 comes to an end, here are some important dates to keep in mind:
- Dec. 8: Last day of instruction
- Dec. 9-11: Reading days
- Dec. 11-17: Examinations
- Dec. 18: Residence halls close at 10 a.m. for Winter Break
- The 2014 December Commencement is Saturday, Dec. 20 at 10 a.m. Gerald J. Ford will be the speaker. Ford was a member of the 1966 class, graduating from Dedman College with a degree in economics. He then went on to study at Dedman School of Law concluding his SMU career in 1969. Today Ford is the chairman of the board and the principal shareholder of both the Diamond A Ford Corporation and the Hilltop Holdings Inc., a Texas-based diversified financial holding company. He has supported the Dallas community by serving as the former director of Children’s Medical Foundation and Boys and Girls Club of Greater Dallas. Ford and his wife Kelli O. Ford have generously donated to expand computing and interdisciplinary research throughout the University.
- Faculty: Prior to commencement there is a faculty breakfast in the Miller Champions Club of Moody Coliseum at 8:45 a.m. Retired and current faculty must be in the lobby of the Blanton building by 9:45 in academic dress.
- Guests: Tickets are not needed to attend December Commencement. The doors to Moody Coliseum open at 8:30 a.m. and guests are encouraged to be seated by 9:45 a.m.
- If you are unable to attend December Commencement, you can livestream the ceremony.
A quick look at 2015:
- Jan. 5: First day of Jan Term (Plano and Taos)
- Jan. 11: Residence halls open at 9 a.m.
- Jan. 16: First day of Spring 2015 classes
- Jan. 19: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. University closed.