SMU Guildhall deputy director heads out for active duty in Afghanistan

SMU Guildhall Deputy Director Capt. Steven Cole, US Navy ReserveSteven Cole, deputy director of operations with The Guildhall at SMU and a captain in the United States Navy Reserve, has answered the call of duty for a one-year deployment with the NATO coalition in Afghanistan.

Capt. Cole will serve as director of the NATO-led Multinational Fusion Center, Regional Command North (RC-North) – a United Nations-mandated NATO mission in Mazar-i-Sharif with personnel from 17 different countries.

“The objective is to build the nation and help build the capacity of self-rule. Our primary mission is outreach to the community,” says Cole, whose Navy intelligence service focuses on counterinsurgency, human terrain and strategic analysis.

“Having been a reservist my entire career, this is just another opportunity to serve when asked,” Capt. Cole adds. His experience in joint operations made him a good fit for his current assignment, he says. “The U.S. Navy has the best, most educated and experienced intelligence professionals in the world, so the Navy is always at the top of the list for these assignments.”

Steven Cole joined the U.S. Naval Reserve in February 1986; he earned his B.B.A. degree in accounting from Abilene Christian University in 1978. His first Navy Reserve assignment was in North Texas: as assistant training officer to Fleet Intelligence Rapid Support Team, Pacific 0470 (FIRSTPAC 0470) at Naval Air Station (NAS) Dallas in Grand Prairie. During his Navy Reserve career he has served as an analyst, intelligence officer and intelligence training instructor with commands throughout California and Texas. His current command is stationed at NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base.

A veteran of Operation Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, Capt. Cole served with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) mission of counterintelligence, human intelligence, force protection and counterterrorism assigned to the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq.

Capt. Cole was awarded the Information Dominance Warfare Officer (IDWO) pin in October 2010. His personal decorations include the Distinguished Meritorious Service (2), Joint Service Commendation and Navy Commendation medals, as well as two Combat Action ribbons.

He and his wife, Rita, have two children, Mitchell (with his wife, Sarah) and Rachel. The Cole family make their home in Dallas.

Capt. Cole came to his “dream job” at The Guildhall in April 2014 after a long career as a self-employed forensic accountant, financial consultant and private investigator. He quickly found a home in the SMU community, including among its cadre of military veterans. (As of September 10, 2014, more than 130 U.S. veterans are enrolled in SMU degree programs using their Veterans Administration benefits.)

“My heart is at The Guildhall – it’s the best place in the world to work,” Capt. Cole says. He’s even taken several stacks of Guildhall stickers and business cards with him and never misses an opportunity to share them with fellow service members. “In fact, I just gave a bunch of them to some fellows who were in the cafeteria talking about World of Warcraft,” he says.

Lecturer in Production Mark Nausha has taken on Capt. Cole’s duties during his absence and will serve double duty as a Guildhall faculty member and administrator. “I’m very comfortable with him sitting at my desk while I’m gone,” Capt. Cole says. “I’ll miss the Guildhall immensely – the staff and faculty, and the great students we have – and I can’t wait to get back.”