Engineering education at SMU took a major step forward May 9 with groundbreaking for the School of Engineering’s new Caruth Hall. To date, commitments totaling more than $18.4 million toward a goal of $22 million have been received for the building project.
The W. W. Caruth, Jr. Foundation of Communities Foundation of Texas has committed $7.5 million toward the new building, which will be constructed on the site of the original Caruth Hall, the home of SMU’s School of Engineering since 1948. New gifts include $4 million from Robert Palmer of Houston, $2 million from the Hillcrest Foundation of Dallas and $1.5 million from the J. E. and L. E. Mabee Foundation of Tulsa.
The building will be constructed to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Standards of environmentally conscious design and will include more than 64,000 square feet of space for teaching, research and innovation – nearly double the size of the current facility. It will serve as home to the Caruth Institute for Engineering Education at SMU, as well as the Department of Engineering Management, Information and Systems, and the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
“The new Caruth Hall will provide visible evidence of the growing national significance of SMU’s School of Engineering,” said SMU President R. Gerald Turner. “We are deeply grateful for the vision and generosity of these donors in providing facilities that support our efforts to develop a national center for educating engineers who will be future leaders in the global economy.”