SMU Winter Break Temperature Set Point Protocol:
- SMU seeks to reduce energy usage on the Dallas Main Campus by standardizing the temperatures in areas zoned for academic, administrative, and assembly use.
Temperature Set Point Ranges: (for the Winter Break ONLY)
- The temperature set point range in occupied residence rooms
will remain 68°F to 74°F.
- Non-Residential and Non-Athletic Facilities Temperature Range will be set to 55F
minimum, unless scheduled for a class or event.
- All “exempted” spaces are excluded from these temperature set point ranges and will be maintained at their normal operating range.
- All special events will receive normal support through the SME Events office.
Interior Temperature and Thermostat Controls:
- To override a thermostat if necessary, you must press and HOLD the override button for 10 seconds. An override will be maintained for 2 hours.
- See below for key operation controls for various thermostats on campus:
Ways to Assist in Reducing Energy Consumption:
- Leaving windows and doors closed
- Adjusting window blinds to block the cold from the glass
- Putting computers in sleep mode when not in use
- Turning off unnecessary lighting
- Last Out . . . Lights Out!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What if my area is too cold?
To override your thermostat for 2 hours, follow the instructions above, otherwise,
please call the Facilities 24 Hour Call Center (214) 768-7000.
- What if there is no airflow from the vents?
Notify the Facilities 24 Hour Call Center (214) 768-7000.