Anthropology Biology Chemistry Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Graduate News Undergraduate News

Three Dedman College students receive prestigious fellowships and awards

Dedman College News
Originally Posted: June 24, 2019

Congratulations to three accomplished Dedman College students. Megan Brown and Megan Latoya are 2019-2020 Fulbright Fellowship winners and Siddhakshi Solanki won the highly competitive Boren and Gillman Scholarships.

According to an SMU press release, Brown and Latoya, both Ph.D. candidates in the Department of Anthropology, “are two of over 2,100 U.S. citizens who will study, conduct research, and teach abroad for the 2019-2020 academic year through the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Recipients of Fulbright awards are selected on the basis of academic and professional achievement, as well as their record of service and leadership potential in their respective fields.”

Megan Brown will be going to Monteverde, Costa Rica and Megan Latoya will be going to Recife, Brazil.

Siddhakshi Solanki was awarded a Boren Scholarship and Gilman Scholarship to study in Dakar, Senegal during Summer 2019. Siddhakshi is a junior majoring in Biology and French, with a minor in Chemistry.

“The Gilman and the Boren provide me the opportunity to improve my French fluency and begin to study Wolof through experiential learning in Senegal,” says Siddhakshi in an SMU press release. “Furthermore, as I am interested in international health, the Gilman and the Boren will provide me with the funding and resources I need for the health internship component of my summer program.”

For more information on the students and the awards please visit:
https://www.smu.edu/Provost/NationalFellowships/News