Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Graduate News Statistical Science

Building Foundations for a Data-Driven Future

Dedman College News

Originally Posted: Jan. 1, 2019

Vince Miller, a student in the M.S. in Applied Statistics and Data Analytics (MASDA) program graduating this fall, fills us in on his journey to data science, what it’s really like to study in the program, and how data science will continue to shape our world. For more information about Dedman’s MASDA program, including a program overview, requirements, and more from students, visit the MASDA program website.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! Where are you from? What do you like to do for fun? What led you to data science?

I grew up in Ohio and attended The Ohio State University for my undergrad, where I studied chemical engineering. I love adventure, especially outdoors, and initially pursued working in the oil field. I spent time in North Dakota as a field engineer but eventually decided against this route. I moved to Dallas for a process engineering job and worked there for two years before joining the MASDA program. During my first year of the MASDA program, I continued working as a process engineer until I was offered a Data Science internship. READ MORE