Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Statistical Science Undergraduate News

Why 4 Students, Graduates Chose Their Colleges

US News and World Report

Originally Posted: September 24, 2018

Why I picked Southern Methodist University (Dallas)

Greg Guggenmos, ’18

Southern Methodist University provides students incredible opportunities to apply what they’re learning. I was accepted to the Dedman College Scholars honors program, and I’ve gotten great mentoring and support.

After I became interested in the criminal justice system from a history class, my honors mentor helped me secure a two-week, all-expenses-paid fellowship to New York to research how accused nonviolent offenders become stuck in pretrial detention when they can’t make bail. That experience led me to start a community bail fund in Dallas providing small grants to low-level defendants.

SMU also encourages students to see the world with wonderful travel courses. I did archival research on the Supreme Court at the Library of Congress in Washington. I took an arts course in New York and history courses in Rome and Paris. SMU has shown me exciting new directions to steer my career. I plan to earn my master’s in applied statistics and data analytics and work in the nonprofit sector. READ MORE