Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Economics Political Science Tower Center Undergraduate News

Tower Scholar Q&A | My time as a campaign manager

Tower Center Blog

Originally Posted: February 2, 2017

Kovan Barzani is a Junior from Plano, Texas triple majoring in Economics, Public Policy and Management with a minor in political science. 

Highland Capital Management Tower Scholar Kovan Barzani, class of 2017, managed Jim Burke’s 2016 campaign for the Texas House of Representatives District 114 in Dallas. Barzani started out as a Fellow at the Dallas County Democratic Party, and within a month he was running Burke’s campaign. Barzani is triple majoring in economics, public policy and management. Upon graduation in May he will be working for Capital One in Dallas as a business analyst. The Tower Center sat down with Barzani to hear his story.

How did you become Jim Burke’s campaign manager?

During my first couple of days as a volunteer at the Dallas County Democratic Party I made this huge spreadsheet that did a bunch of data work for all of the campaigns of the county. I showed it to some of the people who organize where we walk and they were pretty impressed by it so they had me take on a bigger role. By the end of the first week I was doing strategy work instead of making phone calls. READ MORE