Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Graduate News

Building Community, Advocacy, and Awareness for Colorectal Cancer

ASF

Originally Posted: November 28, 2016

DFW Schweitzer Fellow Chloe Rogers works to raise awareness of colorectal cancer in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas through her project “Make Your Bottom a Top Priority”

“It is no doubt that our greatest passions arise from the most impactful experiences and moments from our lives, and this is exactly how my passion for colorectal cancer came to be. I chose to address this health issue because my father was diagnosed with the disease, which ultimately claimed his life several years later. As a health professional, I understand the importance of education and awareness for disease prevention; therefore, I saw the Schweitzer Fellowship as an opportunity to help others not only understand the disease, but also be a champion to fight against it.” ―Chloe Rogers, 2016-2017 DFW Schweitzer Fellow.

Rogers, who is pursuing a Ph.D. in Health Studies with a focus in Higher Education at Texas Woman’s University, has developed an education, awareness, and prevention program for colorectal cancer called Make Your Bottom a Top Priority, based out of the Oak Cliff Family YMCA located in south Dallas. Working at the YMCA through their SilverSneakers program, Rogers is providing information about colorectal cancer prevention, signs, and screening options, while also helping program participants become advocates for colorectal cancer. READ MORE