- Holdings are open to any individual engaged in serious research. Proper identification, with photograph, is necessary before examining materials.
- Only items necessary for research are normally permitted in the reading room. Materials taken into the area are subject to inspection by staff members before researchers leave the reading room.
- Special care must be observed in handling all materials. Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted. Only pencil may be used.
- Bywaters Special Collections reserves the right to limit the number of items issued to a researcher at any one time. In using manuscripts and photographs, the user should exercise particular care and be sure that they are returned in the same order in which they are received. If the user discovers damaged or displaced items, please notify a staff member.
- Citations in either published or unpublished works must include: “[Collection name], Jerry Bywaters Special Collections, Hamon Arts Library, Southern Methodist University.”
- Permission to publish written materials, in circumstances where Bywaters Special Collections is qualified to grant such right, must be sought in writing on the form Application to Publish. Receipt of a fully executed, signed copy of this form by the researcher will signal approval of an application.
- Photo reproduction and duplication:
- Permission to reproduce photographs, works of art on paper, or other visual materials, in circumstances where Bywaters Special Collections is qualified to grant such right, must be sought in writing on the form Application for Photographic Reproduction. Receipt of a fully executed, signed copy of this form by the researcher will signal approval of an application.
- Bywaters Special Collections reserves the right to restrict the total number of copies made and to decide whether a particular item may be reproduced.
- The applicant understands that while staff will take reasonable care in making copies, Bywaters Special Collections assumes no responsibility for the quality of the reproduction. The applicant agrees to pay the assessed fee upon the receipt of the copies, regardless of their quality.
- Payment for the expected charge will be collected at the time the request is made. Adjustments will be paid when the request is picked up. If the request is to be mailed, a $5.00 charge will be added to the charges collected.
- The undersigned expressly assumes all responsibility for observing applicable laws of copyright, literary right, property right, and libel. The undersigned also covenants and agrees to exonerate, indemnify and hold Southern Methodist University, its Trustees, Fellows, Officers, Servants and Agents harmless for and on account of any and all loss, cost, damage or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the use which the undersigned makes or suffers or permits to be made of the materials used.
Submission is the equivalent of signing, dating and submitting the print version of this form.