October 22, 2021
Dear SMU Community,
Boosters are now available at the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center for all three U.S. COVID-19 vaccines – Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has approved booster vaccinations for Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, along with a “mix and match” approach, which allows eligible individuals to choose which vaccine they receive for their booster even if it is different from their original vaccine.
- For individuals who received a Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a booster shot at 6 months or more after their primary series:
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
- For individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, the same eligibility criteria applies. However, boosters can be given as soon as two months after the initial J & J vaccination.
We highly recommend consulting with a healthcare provider if you have questions about your risks from COVID-19 and whether a booster dose would be beneficial.
To schedule an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccination please follow this link.