To the SMU Community,
As we work together to adapt to changes in our work and personal lives related to COVID-19, job one is maintaining the health of our community as we continue with the mission of educating our students. Decisions we make today may be revisited tomorrow as circumstances change, but we want to share with you what we know when we know it – as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Please use this site to catch up on the latest general announcements from the Office of the President and other University administrators. The FAQ’s are grouped in sections specific to students, faculty, staff and alumni to help direct you to your area of concern or interest. You will find useful links to pages that our Office of Information and Technology has developed to explain the various types of technology we can use to keep learning, teaching and working.
Thank you and stay healthy.
R. Gerald Turner, President
Help SMU students struggling with unexpected expenses.
- SMU Employees: What to expect when you get backDear SMU faculty and staff, You have received quite a few messages from me over the past few months, but this is one I have been eager to deliver: I am delighted to welcome our full University workforce back to campus on Monday, June 1. I know how hard you have worked from home, and … Read more
- Message from Faculty Senate President and Past-PresidentDear colleagues, President Turner is preparing to update the SMU community on Monday June 1 about our planning for the fall semester. We expect it to include information such as modality for course delivery, any adjustments to the academic calendar, initial plans for residential and dining facilities, enhanced cleaning of high-traffic areas, testing capabilities and … Read more
- SMU keeps going volume 6Dear Faculty, Staff and Students, In spite of the rain, I hope you saw on Saturday the lights on Reunion Tower spell out SMU in honor of our 2020 graduates. Now it’s time to look to the fall as we welcome back those who started working on campus this week! I have enjoyed seeing more … Read more
- SMU employees: Welcome back to campusDear SMU faculty and staff, We are looking forward to your return to the Hilltop. You have demonstrated flexibility, creativity and remarkable good humor in keeping the University on course during these trying times, and those traits will serve us well as we return to campus and prepare to welcome our students back. Some of … Read more
- On-campus and online classes to be held for Summer Session IIMay 15, 2020Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:SMU, including its campus in Taos, is expecting to offer a combination of in-person and online classes for Summer Session II, commonly referred to as July term. We will continue to monitor and adjust as evolving guidelines emerge from Dallas County and the Texas governor.You may recall that the President’s … Read more
- SMU keeps going volume 5Dear SMU Faculty, Staff and Students, Congratulations to the 2,634 graduating students who will receive their SMU degrees on Saturday, May 16. Here we go Mustangs is just one small way we honor our graduating students' accomplishments. Also, keep your eyes on the Dallas skyline this Saturday night when Reunion Tower will light up with a special … Read more
- SMU keeps going volume 4Dear SMU Faculty, Staff and Students, Spring is the time we honor our students for outstanding academic, leadership and service achievements. In spite of distance, students have been initiated into honor societies, recognized for their research and honored for their contributions to the community. The work of the University continues, as evidenced by these fruits … Read more
- SMU keeps going volume 3Dear SMU Faculty, Staff and Students,After six weeks of online classes and stay-at-home orders, I continue to be proud of the many ways the SMU community is demonstrating innovation amid dramatic changes brought by COVID-19. By now you may have seen our plans to continue to have a majority of campus employees remain working from home … Read more
- We intend to be open in fall 2020Dear SMU Community, It’s time to look to the future. I am pleased to announce that SMU intends to safely open our University for on-campus teaching, learning and student living for the fall semester. We are looking forward to delivering the unique academic experience that defines SMU, and to rekindling the energy our students bring … Read more
- President’s Task Force for a Healthy Opening Fall 2020SMU is committed to reopening the campus as quickly as possible, while protecting the health of our University community and allowing for safe learning, working, living and socializing. To that end, SMU must have data-informed policies and procedures in place as early as midsummer that leverage the best available testing and/or screening for COVID-19, along … Read more
- SMU adapts to challenges created by COVID-19Dear Campus Community, Anyone walking across our beautiful campus is struck by how quiet it is. What is not visible is the increased activity behind the scenes as we work to educate our students online while adapting to the serious challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic. Across the country, many families and individuals are facing … Read more
- A message from R. Gerald Turner to alumni and friendsDear Mustang Family: The global spread of COVID-19 is affecting all of us – the way we learn, live, work and play. I wanted to update you on how we continue to approach this situation at SMU. First, we hope that you and your families remain safe and healthy. Our hearts go out to those … Read more
- SMU keeps going – volume 2Dear SMU Faculty, Staff and Students, Thank you again for working so hard to maintain SMU’s vibrancy and operations during this unique time. Members of our SMU community continue to show creativity and innovation in their teaching, learning and working as we face the challenges of COVID-19. In addition to making the most of online … Read more
- Credit adjustments for housing, dining and parkingDear student, We miss you and the buzz of activity you bring to our beautiful campus. I hope you and your family are staying healthy and your studies are going well during this time. The resilience and flexibility you are showing during the COVID-19 pandemic reflect the strength and character of our student body. Thank … Read more
- SMU keeps going – volume 1Dear SMU Community, Thank you for your flexibility, patience and commitment to the mission of SMU during this time. This is the first of regular updates to help connect the SMU community in a time of social distancing. I hope everyone has seen the recent announcements: the postponement of Commencement ceremonies to August 15, a … Read more
- SMU May and June classes move onlineDear Faculty, Students, and Staff: As the continuation of health and travel restrictions related to COVID-19 remains uncertain for the coming months, SMU has decided to move May and June term classes online. Enrollment for May and June classes for current SMU students opens Monday, April 13, and the priority enrollment deadline is Friday, April … Read more
- SMU Alert: An important message regarding a COVID-19 case.SMU Alert: COVID-19 April 2, 2020 SMU has been notified that an employee of the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center on the University campus has tested positive for COVID-19. The employee was tested Tuesday, April 1, received the positive results today, April 2, and will self-isolate for the next two weeks. The potential for contact … Read more
- Announcing new date for SMU Commencement 2020Please watch this message from Dr. Turner announcing a postponement of SMU’s spring commencement to Saturday, August 15, 2020. Although the ceremony date is moving, you will still receive your degree on May 16th. Transcripts with your degree will be available in early June and your diploma will be mailed to you.
- Letter to Undergraduate Students on Spring 2020 Temporary Grading PolicyDear SMU Undergraduate Students: I hope you are adjusting to your studies online in response to efforts to keep our campus community as safe as possible during the COVID outbreak. We received many emails and calls from you requesting that we modify our grading policies because of this unusual semester. After carefully consulting with faculty, … Read more
- COVID-19 update from the Dr. Bob Smith Health CenterHello Mustangs, We understand that this is a very stressful and confusing time. Please know that our staff here at the Dr. Bob Smith Health Center are still here working hard to support both your physical and mental well-being. We will remain OPEN Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. to provide care for students both … Read more
- A message from R. Gerald Turner to alumni and friendsDear Mustang Family: We hope that you, your family, and your loved ones remain safe and healthy during this unprecedented time. Responding to the rapid and relentless expansion of COVID-19 has challenged us all. As I see our faculty and staff prepare for this first full week of online instruction and remote working, I am … Read more
- SMU suspends all University–sponsored and/or sanctioned international travelPlease note latest updates reflect more flexible travel guidelines. Following federal and local guidelines recommended to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), SMU is suspending all university-sponsored and/or sanctioned international travel. Students (undergraduates and graduate students) as well as faculty and staff members currently studying or working abroad are requested to return to the … Read more
- Research continuity updateDear Colleagues, As SMU takes precautions to respond to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), I’d like to offer additional information on how to continue our academic work and protect our research during this unusual period. The move to online instruction for the two weeks after Spring Break and other cautionary actions announced in Dr. Turner’s March 12 … Read more