About the Competition
1Ls are highly encouraged to participate in this event, it is a great way to get started in the Board Of Advocates (BOA) and earn points toward Order of the Barristers.
Competition: In the Negotiations competition, each team will represent a side in a dispute. Each round will build on the previous round providing additional information for each side of the dispute. The “General” facts of the dispute will be sent to the competitors in advance of the competition. The “confidential” facts for each side will be sent ahead of time for round one only. The confidential facts for each subsequent round will be distributed between each round. In each round, the goal is to effectively represent your side and efficiently reach an agreement (though an agreement is not required if the two sides cannot agree).
Logistics: The Negotiations competition will consist of 24 teams of 2 people competing in 2 preliminary rounds and a final round for a total of 3 possible rounds. The 4 teams with the highest scores at the end of the preliminary rounds will compete to determine the winner and runners up.
*Reminder, if you register before 12:00 PM, Thursday, September 6, 2018, your registration will not be counted.
- Registration for the competition opens at 12:00 PM, Thursday, September 6, 2018.
- Registration will close at 5:00 PM CST Friday, September 7, 2018.
- You must register for the competition through the BOA’s website link above.
- BOA Orientation (9/5/18) is MANDATORY to participate, failure to attend WILL result in the loss of your team’s registration. However, if you have a schedule conflict please contact any of the points of contact listed below to make alternative arrangements.
- Only one team member may sign up from each team.
- ***NOTE: If both team members sign up they will be split by the system and will not be able to compete together. For this reason it is critical that ONLY ONE team member sign up per two person team.
- This Competition will fill up FAST If waitlisted you will be notified by email.
- Each side will receive confidential information that will be instrumental in their negotiation. Competitors will receive this information following registration. (People on the waitlist to compete will only receive this information if they are taken off the waitlist.) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU SHARE YOUR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN YOUR TEAMMATE (INCLUDING NON-COMPETITORS). Searching online for the other side’s confidential information is also strictly prohibited. Violating either of these rules will severely interfere with the integrity of the competition and will result in BOA sanctions and a possible referral to the law school’s Honor Council.
- The deadline to withdraw from the competition without BOA sanctions is 5:00 PM CST Thursday, September 13, 2018. Any competitor who withdraws after this cut off will be subject to BOA sanction unless excused for extenuating circumstances (illness, family emergency, etc.).
- Check-in for the competition is 8:00 to 8:30 AM in Carr Collins Hall on the date of the competition, September 15, 2018.
For the Negotiations competition, if you are not able to compete, you can still earn BOA points by serving as a bailiff. Please fill out this form if you would like to serve as a bailiff.