About the Competition
Who can Participate?
- ONLY 2Ls/3Es and 3Ls/4Es can compete–they may also serve as a bailiff or witness. Competitors must attend the Advocate Education Series on the date emailed to you.
- Any 1L/2E can volunteer to be a witness or bailiff. 1Ls are welcome and encouraged to attend the Mock Trial AES.
Format and Timeline
- Competition Date – September 29-30, 2018.
- Maximum of 12x total teams (excluding waitlist).
- 4x person teams (2x attorneys, 2x witnesses) – they will switch between rounds and also switch sides meaning: round 1: A and B are attorneys for the Prosecution and C and D are their witnesses; round 2 C and D are the attorneys for the Defense and A and B become the witnesses.
- Teams of 4 will have priority for registration
- Teams of 2x may register and be paired as needed. Priority will be based on the registration order.
- 6x competition rooms (other reserved rooms can be used for practice and to store exhibits).
- 3x Judges per room (1x presiding judge, 2x associate judges).
- This means we need 18x judges for rounds 1&2, 9x for semi-finals, 3x for finals.
- Each round consists of 4 distinct parts (see scoring ballot and instructions to judges attached).
- No pretrial motions will be heard or argued.
- Each round will be a MAXIMUM of 2 hours (1x hour preside – including objections – the clock NEVER stops).
- 15 min between all rounds to tabulate scores, allow teams to move to different rooms, deal with issues, etc.
- After the 2nd round teams advancing to semi-finalists will be announced along with best speaker awards (approx. 20 min).
- Immediately following this announcement, before Semifinals begin competitors and judges moving on will have 1x hour for lunch. Lunch should start around 1:50 if we are running on time.
- At approx. 2:50 – 3:00 semifinals begin (will announce finalists as quickly as possible after concluding this round).
- 9/30/18 (Sunday) Final round
- At approx. 1:00 – sign -in for judges, bailiffs, and competitors
- At approx. 1:30 – Finals begin.
- At approx. 3:30 – 3:45 Competition ends (Announce Winner and Runner-up ASAP)
- Tournament complete
- The first break will happen after the second preliminary round with the 6x highest scoring teams (first 2x rounds should be averaged) advancing.
- In the event of a tie the team with the most rooms won will advance, if the tie persists, the team with the highest raw score for both rounds will advance.
- Teams will flip a coin (Bailiff will be issued a coin) to determine which side they argue.
- The second break determines the final round (only 2x teams advance) and will be determined the same way (including tie-breaking procedure) as the semi-final break.
- Finalists will flip a coin to determine which side they will argue.
- There is NO SECOND CHANCE bracket for this competition.
Competition Signup Form
Please fill out the form linked below. Sign-ups will open on Friday, September 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Signups are on a first come, first serve basis. Early entries will not be accepted.