Above is an informational video on how to sign up and tryout for off-campus teams.
If you want to see videos of past competitions, or for more resources, view our Advocate Education Series page.
Some of the benefits of off-campus teams include:
- 1 Hour of Class Credit
- You can get 1 hour of credit for each team you compete on, up to 4 hours total (limit of 2 credit hours per each type of advocacy competition, i.e. up to 2 for moot court, up to 2 for mock trial, etc. SMU Law limit on non-graded credit hours is 6)
- With your coaches who are practicing attorneys
- With guest judges during your practices leading up to the competition
- With judges and attorneys at the competition who typically practice in the field that is covered by the competition topic
- With students who are now your classmates and will later become your colleagues
- Order of Barristers
- 5 BOA Competition points for being on a team (7 points for prestige teams)
- One of only two honors you can graduate with in law school
- Only 10 students in each graduating class are chosen for this honor
- You must be a “Master” level advocate to qualify. To become a Master, you must earn 30 competition points and 10 administrative points
- Build your skills
- Oral Advocacy
- Make new friends and have fun!
Stay tuned for tryout dates for Spring 2022!