- Stay Informed: In the unlikely event that the storms and flooding disrupt campus operations, all updates and information will be posted on this page and SMU Aware Twitter.
- Arrive Early: Monitor road and travel conditions, as localized flooding can impact traffic in the area.
- Tickets Required: A ticket is required to enter Moody Coliseum for the All University Commencement ceremony.
- Moody Coliseum Alternatives: If you do not have a ticket, a livestream will be available at the neighboring Dedman Recreation Center and also online at smu.edu/live
- Plan Ahead: Moody Coliseum has a clear bag policy. A full list of prohibited items is available here.
- Parking Information: Graduates and guests attending Commencement activities at SMU may park in any of the University’s parking facilities.
Overview from National Weather Service:
Strong to severe storms will be possible late Friday and into the night, with the best storm chances along and west of the I-35 corridor. The threat for heavy rainfall and some flooding will continue through the weekend.
- Thunderstorms are expected to develop to our west and northwest Friday afternoon as an upper level disturbance approaches.
- Storms may form into one or two lines or clusters as they spread east and southeast into North and Central Texas late afternoon and Friday evening.
- A few storms may be severe with large hail and damaging winds. A tornado or two is also possible.
- Heavy rain may lead to flooding in some locations.
- The best chances for strong/severe storms and heavy rain are along and west of I-35.
- Heavy rain will continue into the weekend, primarily west of I-35. Flooding will be the main concern, though a few severe storms could also occur.
Remember, there is a difference between a watch and a warning
ABOUT THE OUTDOOR SIREN SYSTEM
The outdoor warning siren system on SMU’s campus is activated by the City of University Park in the event of tornados, high winds, or other emergencies. Learn More
Here are some safety measures to take during a tornado warning, depending upon your location:
- Go into a building and find a safe room or designated Tornado Shelter Areas
- If a designated space is not available:
- Go to the lowest possible level in a building
- Move away from glass windows, exterior walls and doors
- Move to hallways that are at the center or most interior part of the building
- Move to restrooms without an exterior wall
On-campus residents who need additional information or support should contact an area desk at Virginia-Snider (214-768-2230) or Armstrong at (214-768-5062) or contact the on-call staff.