Danielle Deraleau Speaks with Entrepreneurs

In this series, Danielle Deraleau, student of Meadows School of the Arts at SMU, photographer and musician, speaks with three creative entrepreneurs. This series is part of an assignment with the program for Arts Entrepreneurship

Claire Anderson of “Clara Bella Photography”

Did you have a business plan when you started?

I had started several businesses before I decided on this business. At some point I had a business plan, but I didn’t have a specific one, but I had a very clear direction that I wanted to go with photographing high school senior girls.

Do you think business plans are necessary in entrepreneurship?

I do, especially when you’re first starting a business. It’s really important to write it down. I think once you write it down and say it out loud it makes it much clearer for you to follow than if it was just in your head. It becomes more “real” and more attainable. Even now, whenever I have any idea, I make little goals here and there.

What are 3 pieces of advice you would offer someone who wants to become an arts entrepreneur?

I guess my first piece of advice, and probably the most important, is to never give up- because you’re going to want to. And I tell people that, not to scare them, but just because I think it’s realistic. It’s not easy, especially with the arts, because it’s so subjective. It’s easy to be hard on yourself. But if you just decide that you’re not going to give up then eventually you’ll reach your goal. The second one would probably be to not compare yourself with others. It’s so easy to look at other photographers and be like, “Oh my God, I’ll never be that good.” With any art it’s easy to do that. But everyone is in a different place. You could be comparing your beginning to someone’s middle or end. It’s not a race. Lastly, don’t be hard on yourself. It’s easy to be your biggest critic, especially in the arts field. Just do what speaks to you, be true to yourself, and other people will start coming to you for what’s unique about you.

Interview 2- Kelly Williams of “Kelly Williams Photography”

Nope!

I think it saves a lot of time if you have a direction and goals that you’re moving towards. In the beginning, you kind of have to explore, because you don’t really know what you want. It’s kind of a catch 22. So, I think it’s good to have your strategic plan in place but then still be flexible so if it changes, it changes.

To gather up as much information as you can about what you’re doing. Don’t worry about the competition, concentrate on yourself. Be the best you can be. I think if you pay attention to other people too much, then you get sidetracked. But if you’re you and you’re doing your own thing, then there’s no competition.

Interview 3- Wendy Pennington of “Improv Dallas”

I did. My plan was to teach a basic class for 8 weeks, so 8 sessions. And then those who finished the basic class would advance to my intermediate class.

Do you think business plans are necessary in arts entrepreneurship?

Absolutely. You need a vision of where you’re starting and where you’re going. And with a business plan, you can see all the bumps in the road before you actually hit the bump in the road. Otherwise, things tend to fall apart and you have no structure. A business can end pretty quickly without a business plan.

What 3 pieces of advice would you offer someone who wants to become an arts entrepreneur?

The first piece of advice I would give is to really narrow in on your clientele. Who are you going to be servicing? Once you narrow in on that clientel, my second piece of advice would be to figure out what the best way to reach those people is. My last piece of advice is to just go for it and put all of your energy, love, and passion into it.

This entry was posted in Entrepreneur Interviews, Interviews and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.