Interview with Linley Robinson

Linley Robinson: Jewelry Maker

How did you decide you wanted to start your business?

It began as a hobby.  I knew in my head the types of necklaces I wanted to wear, yet had a hard time finding them in stores.  I began going to beading and craft stores and making them myself.  People started to compliment me on them and I began making them for my friends.  Then I began selling them, mostly to friends.  I am still at a beginning stage of the entrepreneurial process.

What was an obstacle you have faced?

There are so many great jewelry companies out there, and very few people would choose to buy from an unknown name, than go to a large retailer.

At what point did you consider it a success?

I would not say that I am a success quite yet, as far as jewelry making is concerned!  However, in one sense I am, because I have made money doing something I love to do anyways.

What is your favorite part about what you do?

Creating something that makes people happy!  Additionally, I am making my self happy.  Making jewelry satisfies my creative needs and it delights me that other people want to be a part of this.

What do you plan on for the future?

Continue to expand my market and sell more necklaces, get the word out there, I suppose.

What are your dreams/goals?

One day, I hope to sell my jewelry out of my own boutique, or to major retailers in major cities.

Interview by Madeline O’Malley, SMU Student

This entry was posted in Interviews and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.