Interview: Jane Pope, Arts Entrepreneur

Jane Pope, Painter

Business: Painter

Samantha Schell: How did you get into painting as a profession?

Jane Pope: I was relatively successful with my paintings when I was younger. I submitted my art to galleries in college for some side money and really enjoyed the whole experience. Once graduating and getting a job, my painting was put on the back burner a tad and I would just paint for relaxation. Fast forward a decade—or two (haha)— once my kids were grown and I had extra time on my hands, I started submitting my stuff again and I started feeling so empowered.

Samantha Schell: What role, if any, does a business plan play in building and launching an arts company (as a business pursuit)?

Jane Pope: A business plan plays a pretty serious role in one’s building and launching an arts company. Without a business plan or any plan, there would be no sense of direction.

Samantha Schell: What three pieces of advice would you give aspiring artist entrepreneurs about planning?

Jane Pope: Hypothesize future problems and try to fix them before they occur, anticipate not everything going according to plan, and try to see all sides of all situations.

Samantha Schell: What do you believe are necessary qualities, if there are any, for artist entrepreneurs to possess or develop?

Jane Pope: Ingenuity, authenticity, originality, persistence. All of those are key.

Samantha Schell: Do you mind if this interview is posted on the SMU website for others to read?

Jane Pope: I’m fine with this being posted.

This entry was posted in Interviews and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.