We have reserved blocs of rooms at discounted rates at two local hotels, both walking distance from campus. Please reserve as early as possible – it’s homecoming weekend at SMU and we will need to act fast to book more rooms if necessary.
The Hotel Lumen
Luxury boutique hotel immediately adjacent to campus. HECAA participants will receive a discounted rate starting at $250 a night. That rate may increase as the hotel fills, so reserve soon by calling the hotel directly at 214-219-2400 and asking for the rate for “Art and Architecture in the Long Eighteenth Century – HECAA at 25.” You can also email the reservations team directly at email@example.com.
The Magnolia Hotel Dallas Park Cities
Close to many restaurants and a 20-minute walk to campus (a shuttle will also be available). HECAA participants will receive a discounted rate of $127 a night: https://aws.passkey.com/e/49602874
Please check back soon for recommendations for local restaurants and attractions.
Restaurant and Entertainment Recommendations
Lunch options on SMU campus (all except for Lee Dining Hall are closed on Saturday):
- Lee Dining Hall, lower level of Umphrey Lee Center
- Starbucks, Fondren Library
- Einstein Bros Bagels, Fincher Building
- Chick-fil-A, Hughes-Trigg Student Center
- The Market, Hughes-Trigg Student Center
- Campisi’s, Hughes-Trigg Student Center (pizza)
- Mac’s Place, McElvaney Hall (grill and pizza options)
Lunch and dinner options near SMU and Lumen Hotel:
Hillcrest, 5-7 minute walk from Owen Fine Arts Center:
- Front Room Tavern, Lumen Hotel (gastropub fare, cocktails, coffee)
- Olivella’s Neo Pizza Napoletana, 3046 McFarlin Blvd.
- Digg’s Taco Shop, 6309 Hillcrest Ave.
- Sushi Kyoto, 6429 Hillcrest Ave. (Japanese)
Snider Plaza, 10-15 minute walk from Owen Fine Arts Center:
- Bubba’s Cooks Country, 6617 Hillcrest Ave. (comfort food diner)
- Kuby’s Sausage House, 6601 Snider Plaza (German restaurant and European deli)
- Banditos Tex Mex Cantina, 6615 Snider Plaza
- Half Shells Oyster Bar and Grill, 6617 Snider Plaza (seafood)
- Zoe’s Kitchen, 6800 Snider Plaza (Mediterranean and Greek food)
- Nekter Juice Bar, 6712 Snider Plaza
- Unleavened Fresh Kitchen, 6632 Snider Plaza (fast-casual, wraps and salads)
- Starbucks, 6733 Hillcrest Ave.
Mockingbird, 5-7 minute walk from Meadows Museum:
- La Madeleine French Bakery, 3072 Mockingbird Ln. (French café chain)
- Lovers Egg Roll, 3020 Mockingbird Ln. (Chinese and Thai)
- Roly Poly Sandwiches, 3038 Mockingbird Ln. (wraps, soups, and salads)
Lunch and dinner options near Magnolia Hotel (SMU Boulevard/Mockingbird):
Walking distance from Magnolia Hotel:
- Torchy’s Tacos, 5600 SMU Blvd. (casual Mexican food)
- Twisted Root Burger Co., 5609 SMU Blvd.
- Urban Taco, 5321 E Mockingbird Ln. (casual Mexican food)
- AGU Ramen, 5331 E Mockingbird Ln.
- Edith’s French Café, 5331 E Mockingbird Ln.
- Knife Dallas, in the Highland Hotel 5300 Mockingbird Ln. (upscale steakhouse)
- Trinity Hall Irish Pub, 5321 E Mockingbird Ln.
- Jason’s Deli, 5400 E Mockingbird Ln.
Dinner + more near DMA and downtown Dallas:
- LARK on the Park, 2015 Woodall Rogers Fwy (globally inspired American)
- Savor Gastropub, 2000 Woodall Rogers Fwy (new American)
- Salsa Limón, 411 N Akard St. (casual Mexican)
- Tei-An, 1722 Routh St. (upscale Japanese)
- Meso Maya Comida Y Copas, 1611 McKinney Ave. (upscale Mexican)
- CBD Provisions, in the Joule hotel 1530 Main St. (upscale American)
- Fine China, in the Statler Hotel 1914 Commerce St. (Chinese-American)
- Sixty Vines, 500 Crescent Ct. (Italian-American, wine bar)
- Café Izmir, 211 N Evray St. (Mediterranean and Middle Eastern)
- Saint Ann, 2550 Harry Hines Blvd. (upscale American)
- The Mitchell, 1404 Main St. (cocktail bar)
- Parliament, 2418 Allen St. (cocktail bar)
- Tipsy Alchemist, 2102 Cedar Springs Rd. (cocktail bar)
Food, drinks + more near Oak Cliff:
- The Wild Detectives, 314 W 8th (bookstore, café, and bar)
- Ten Bells Tavern, 232 W 7th (bar + pub fare)
- Tiny Victories, 604 N Tyler St. (cocktail bar)
- Lockhart Smokehouse, 400 W Davis St. (Texas-style barbeque)
- Boulevardier, 408 N Bishop Ave. (upscale French bistro)
- Emporium Pies, 314 N Bishop Ave. (pies + desserts)
Lunch near Kimbell Art Museum:
- The Buffet Restaurant at the Kimbell
- Café Modern, in Modern Art Museum 3200 Darnell St. (global cuisine)
- Terra Mediterranean, 2973 Crockett St.
- Fred’s Texas Café, 915 Currie St. (dive bar + burgers)
- MASH’D, 2948 Crockett St. (brunch)
- Rodeo Goat, 2836 Bledsoe St. (burgers)
- Fireside Pies, 2949 Crockett St. (pizza)
- Gloria’s Latin Cuisine, 2600 W 7th (Latin American food)
More to see and do in Dallas:
- Aurora– Outdoor media art installation in downtown Dallas on Saturday night.
- Nasher Sculpture Center
- Crow Museum of Asian Art
- The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
- Deep Ellum– vibrant entertainment district known for music and nightlife
- Lower Greenville– entertainment district with bars and restaurants
- HG Supply Co., 2008 Greenville Ave. (restaurant + bar with rooftop patio)
- The Libertine Bar, 2102 Greenville Ave.
- Oak Lawn– center of Dallas’s gay community
- Round-Up Saloon, 3912 Cedar Springs Rd. (country-western gay bar)
- Havana Lounge, 4006 Cedar Springs Rd. (Latin night club)