A memory submitted by Keith Durrett, Class of 1981

My favorite SMU faculty member was Dr. John Peavy, Professor of Finance in the Cox School of Business. Dr. Peavy was an excellent communicator who excelled in simplifying complex concepts and applications.

Prior to taking several courses from him, I had no special interest in the world of financial management, corporate finance, or the exploits of the Federal Reserve System and the banking industry. Dr. Peavy’s friendly and approachable personality, along with his lack of inflated ego facilitated my meeting with him after class and in his office for additional guidance and instruction.

After graduating in 1981, I worked for a short time at Cameron Iron Works, Inc. in Houston in the Critical Services Department, only to recognize that I was the sole employee within that department not possessing an advanced degree. Immediately upon attaining my MBA, I was offered, and accepted, a full-time faculty position in the Economics and Finance Department at The University of Texas at Tyler.

In 1988, I authored a journal article which I was presenting at the Southwestern Society of Economists in New Orleans, Louisiana and happened to run into Dr. Peavy, who was attending my presentation. We spent some time catching up on our activities and I mentioned to him that he had played a significant role in my considering to become a university faculty member, and also let him know that I have tried to incorporate or model my teaching methodology after his when communicating somewhat complex and subjective economic or financial concepts and material to students.

Eventually, I taught a total of 13 years in the College of Business and Technology at The University of Texas at Tyler, which along with SMU’s Cox School, has the prestigious AACSB accreditation.

Lastly, I thanked Dr. Peavy for the role he’s played in my life; which greatly surpasses the role of the typical instructor who shows little interest in student success, and most likely never even learns the names of the students who take their courses.