A memory submitted by Jonathan Wallunas, Class of 2014

In my freshman year adjusting to the academic challenges of college was getting to me and I was feeling frustrated that I wasn’t achieving what I felt I was capable of in my sociology class.

I met with Professor Keller to review my work. After our meeting I received an email from him that to this day I have kept. His words of encouragement and his belief in me really made a difference. Teachers like Professor Keller is why I choose SMU. See email below.

From: “Keller, Matthew” Date: December 16, 2010 To: “Wallunas, Jonathan” Subject: SOCI 2310.005

Dear Jonathan,

I hope all is well. I wanted to briefly write you about SOCI and your final grade. Two things:

1) I hope you are not too disappointed with where you came out. Your final exam came out at approximately the same range as your first two exams, which brought the overall score a bit lower than we both hoped. But this leads to point two:

2) I just wanted to say that I think you are an intelligent and thoughtful individual who has a lot of promise. The grade in my class is basically a result of the exam scores. But once you find the key that unlocks your exam-taking potential, I think you are going to be an excellent, excellent student. Your writing reflects your capabilities