A memory submitted by Jack Swindle, Class of 1965, 1967

I don’t remember his name but he was the Engineering Co-op coordinator in 1961.

I had finished my first year and was ready to find a company to take me on as a co-op engineering student. I told the coordinator that I was interested in working at one of the aircraft plants in Fort Worth. He said that was certainly an option, but thought I might consider a relatively new company in north Dallas, Texas Instruments. He arranged for me to interview at TI’s Lemmon Avenue facility. I liked what I saw and they gave me a job.

I worked at TI’s Lemmon Ave plant until I received my BS Industrial Engineering degree. I was able to transfer to TI’s North Dallas facility and manage one of their assembly lines for several years during which I received my MS Industrial Engineering degree from SMU. I retired from TI as a Senior VP after 40 years service.

I kept in touch with several of my former instructors at SMU during my years at TI, and after. I can’t thank them enough for giving me the education I needed to be successful. I now contribute grants to Lyle Engineering school to help students afford their education.