“To seek intimate relationships with impersonal structures” is how Jill Magid describes her own artistic intentions. In recent years Magid has worked with secret services, CCTV, police and forensic identification experts to further penetrate these systems of control. For her project System Azure, Magid developed her own company System Azure Security Ornamentation and elaborately decorated the security cameras at the Amsterdam Headquarters of Police. Auto Portrait Pending is a work in the guise of a contract stipulating that the artist’s remains be turned into a diamond when she dies. Magid received her MFA at Cornell University, her MS in Visual Studies at MIT and was an artist-in-residence at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten in Amsterdam and at Eyebeam in New York. Her solo shows include those at Sparwasser HQ in Berlin, the Centre d’Art Santa MÃ²nica in Barcelona, and Gagosian Gallery in New York. She teaches sculpture at Cooper Union and has upcoming shows at Artists Space in New York, Momenta Art in Brooklyn, and Stroom with the Dutch Ministry of Interior in Hague, Netherlands. Jill Magid’s visit is sponsored by SAA, the Student Art Association.
- Henri on Frank Porcu, Visiting Lecturers Series, Fall 2007
- Spongespace | Glasstire on Hope Ginsburg: November 13, 6:30 pm OFAC room 3501 (Dean’s suite screening room)
- justinshull on Charlie Wylie, Sep 8, 6:30pm, Owens Fine Arts Center
- JasonM on Charlie Wylie, Sep 8, 6:30pm, Owens Fine Arts Center
- JasonM on Sharon Hayes Dec 4, 6:30 pm Meadows Museum – NOTE THIS EVENT WAS CANCELLED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED