SPRING 2015 – ADV 5302: Technology Marketing and Advertising
The Course: Taking cue from Inside the Actors Studio, this weekly 3-hour class will include guest speakers from some of the industry’s biggest names. We will explore a myriad of topics involving the marketing and advertising of technology products and services.
As a serial entrepreneur in both tech and media, Mark will expose students to a broad spectrum of topics within the technology advertising/marketing arena. A few of the topics will includes
- Marketing Technology to Consumers
- Agency and Client Relationship
- Social Networking and The Changing Media Landscape
- Print Advertising
- PR’s Role in the Communication Mix
- Marketing’s Influence in the Product Development Cycle Out of home/Alternative Media
- Mobile and Social
This class is designed to help students to understand the fundamental disciplines of strategy, creative, media and interactive in all facets of marketing communications for the high technology industry. A rich schedule of leading high tech marketing executives will present general case histories, new product go-to-market launch initiatives, general state-of-affairs and developing trends in technology marketing, as well as creative/media “problem solutions” that run the gamut from traditional “brand development” to “crisis or advocacy” work.
Students will hear directly from many of the marketing and advertising executives from Silicon Valley and the media industry. The program is designed to expose communication students pursuing Creative, PR, Agency, or Media careers to a portfolio of leading thinkers in the vertical of technology and consumer electronics. In addition, entrepreneurial opportunities in the changing landscape of a “new media” will also be explored.
In addition, we will explore the latest trends in digital advertising from mobile to social and its impact across marketing segments and industries. Entrepreneurialism in media will also be covered, as will the exploration of career opportunities involving all of the aforementioned.
Guest Speakers have included a number of key executives from leading technology and media enterprises. Past Speakers have included:
- Sam Gilliland, Chairman and CEO of Sabre (Travelocity.com),
- Rich Silverstein, of Goodby Silverstein
- Howard Mittman, publisher of WIRED Magazine,
- Colette LaForce– Chief Marketing Officer (AMD),
- Rob Wrubel, Chief Innovation Officer – (University of Phoenix), and
- Ann Finney – PR (Hewlett Packard).
Speakers from TI, Samsung and technology companies will also share their experiences throughout the semester.