Teaching in a designated shortage area and/or in designated low-income district can potentially qualify you for LOAN FORGIVENESS. The Texas Education Agency announced over the summer six critical areas of need for teachers. The approved shortage areas for the 2013-2014 school year are listed below. Click on the hyperlinks to learn more about SMU’s graduate programs in these critical need areas.
- Bilingual/English as a Second Language
- Computer Science
- Languages Other Than English (Foreign Language)
- Special Education
There are four programs available to teachers with federal student loans so go ahead and explore each link to see if you may qualify.
- Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
- Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Pubic Service Loan Forgiveness
- Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation