WPA Murals

In 1934 Taos artists Emil Bisttram, Bert Phillips, Victor Higgins and Ward Lockwood (known as the fresco quartet) created 10 frescos on the walls of the courtroom of the Taos County Courthouse. The general subject of the frescos is the use and misuse of law. Inscribed under the frescos are titles in english and spanish such as “Avarice Breeds Crime”, “Justice Begets Content”, “The Shadow of Crime” The largest fresco (4′ by 8″) is intitled “Moses the Law Giver” and was located over the judge’s bench.

Old_Taos_Courthouse_001%5B1%5D.jpg

Old_Taos_Courthouse_002%5B1%5D.jpg

Old_Taos_Courthouse_003%5B1%5D.jpg

This Taos Courthouse is now on the State Historical Registry and is located on the north side of the Plaza above such shops as the Taos Mountain Candle shop.

About Carol Baker

AA-CUL(Reference)
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.