An update from Rachel Buchanan, a psychology major and ethics minor:

The Cary M. Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility sponsored the SEED (Society for Ethical Evaluation and Debate) team to participate in the National Ethics Bowl in Cincinnati, Ohio, on March 3, 2011.

This was our first year as a team to compete in the Ethics Bowl; with last semester’s regional in San Antonio, we started our learning curve and scored enough points to qualify for the National Ethics Bowl. We were more than excited to prepare the 15 cases and embark on a journey across the country to debate topics we are passionate about.

Since the trip to San Antonio, it became apparent that our team is not only composed of young adults who love to discuss ethics, but also a bunch of foodies who were always down for trying new food. It was a win-win situation to be involved in a group that had a passion for weird food, so we have woven it into our experience with the competition.

In San Antonio, we hunted down giant cinnamon rolls; in Austin we searched for oversized burgers. We have yet to be let down with our choices. Now that I reflect, the name alone is probably what drew our group together, the hopes of our two passions: food and ethics, or ethics bowl, depending on how you look at it, would somehow be more than a play on words. And look at that, it did unite into one delicious adventure!

The competition was held in Cincinnati at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza hotel that has a rich history with the city. Our team was much larger for the fall semester, but not everyone could make the commitment to travel during the week, so we arrived with a four-member team consisting of Mary, Meredith, Celesstia and myself.

Traveling to get there was an adventure because we had a three-hour layover in North Carolina, where we enjoyed dinner at Chili’s Too. For dessert, we found a shop to sit in and work over our cases once more, while enjoying tasty white chocolate-covered pretzels and iced coffees. We made it to our final destination a quarter until 1 AM and crashed for the night before the big competition.