2018 Alumni

Randall Joyner ’14 is once again living his dream on the Hilltop

Former standout Mustang linebacker Randall Joyner ’14 was easy to pick out at SMU football’s first scrimmage of their August training camp. Now the assistant coach for defensive ends, he was the first person to greet players coming off the field.

Randall Joyner ’14 was easy to pick out at SMU football’s first scrimmage of their August training camp. The former standout Mustang linebacker, now the assistant coach for defensive ends, was wearing his signature bright red backwards hat and bright red Nike sneakers. Bouncing up and down the sideline, Joyner was the first person to greet players coming off the field after a big defensive stop, which happened often.
“To be able to come back to the school that gave me a chance to live my dream, not once but twice, is a blessing,” Joyner said after the scrimmage, his voice slightly hoarse from yelling for two hours straight. “Now we have a great group of guys and a great staff – I’m really excited.”
Joyner grew up in nearby Carrollton, Texas where he was a two-star recruit out of Newman Smith High School as a running back and defensive back. A four-year letterwinner at linebacker at SMU, he totaled 240 tackles in 50 career games, including 10.5 tackles for loss. As a senior in 2013, he recorded a team-high 98 tackles and three forced fumbles, earning recognition as a semifinalist for the Campbell Trophy.
“I have a great group of guys. They are really good kids. They do everything I ask,” Joyner said. “One thing I’ve been challenging them is to attack greatness. To grow beyond their talents. All I want them to do is play hard and play with passion and play for their brothers. I’ll coach everything else up. They’ve done an unbelievable job.”

Read more at SMU Athletics.