Alumni

SMU Alumnus Trevor Weichmann ’06 Brings Pony Pride To Saudi Arabia

Trevor Weichmann ’06 works about 8,000 miles from the SMU campus, serving as the Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare (JHAH) Epic ASAP Application coordinator in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. However, his heart is never far from the Hilltop. One of the first things he did when he moved into his new workspace was spruce it up with an SMU pennant and a miniature Mustang football helmet.

Trevor Weichmann ’06 works about 8,000 miles from the SMU campus, serving as the Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare (JHAH) Epic ASAP Application coordinator in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. However, his heart is never far from the Hilltop. One of the first things he did when he moved into his new work space was spruce it up with an SMU pennant and a miniature Mustang football helmet.

That’s Trevor Weichmann ’06 making Pony ears and showing Mustang pride in Saudi Arabia, where he is working on an electronic medical records project with Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare.

“We have a tradition of Mustangs in my family. I think I’m the 13th member to graduate from SMU,” he says. “I feel like SMU has helped shape my life since the day I was born.”
Weichmann started on the two-year project in Saudi Arabia in May. Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare is a first-of-its-kind health care joint venture between Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins Medicine and Saudi Aramco, the state-owned energy company of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The partnership provides health care to about 350,000 beneficiaries associated with the world’s largest oil and gas company.
“I knew that the chance to work for the Johns Hopkins Health Network-Saudi Aramco collaboration was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I couldn’t turn down,” he says.
As a consultant with Epic Systems, a Wisconsin-based company that is a leading provider of Electronic Medical Records (EMR) software, his focus is on EMR for the emergency room as part of Epic’s ASAP Application team.
“My role is to help implement the project from start to finish,” he says. “We meet with physicians and stakeholders to explain possible functionality, validate workflows, build the system and test the software against required metrics, train end-users and assist in ongoing efforts to assure long-term excellence.”
At SMU Weichmann majored in management science in the Lyle School of Engineering. He credits SMU professors who “challenged me to see technical problems as games that needed solving” and “opened my eyes to different cultures and experiences” with paving the way for a career that can take him anywhere.
“SMU provided so much more than a education that can be given grades,” he says. “I received an education in life.”
Follow Weichmann’s adventures in Saudi Arabia on his blog, CT Scans the World.