Alumni

Kelly Stoetzel ’91 And Her Mission To Share ‘Ideas Worth Spreading’

TEDxSMU returned for its sixth year November 1, and as expected, provided a lineup of intriguing speakers. Among them was SMU alumna Kelly Stoetzel ’91, content director for TED and frequent host of TED events around the world.

TEDxSMU returned for its sixth year November 1, and as expected, provided a lineup of intriguing speakers. This year’s theme, “Strangely Familiar,” featured topics ranging from the psychology of magic to the intersection of cultures through dance.

Kelly Stoetzel '91, content director for TED, speaking at TEDxSMU November 1.
Kelly Stoetzel ’91, content director for TED, speaking at TEDxSMU November 1.

Among the speakers was SMU alumna Kelly Stoetzel ’91, who talked about TEDYouth, a daylong event designed to enlighten and inspire middle- and high-school students. She curates the event, which was held November 15 in Brooklyn and experienced by young people around the globe via webcast.
But, that’s not all she does.
Not even close.
As content director for TED, the internationally renowned conferences that present “ideas worth spreading,” Stoezel recruits, auditions and prepares speakers for events. Sometimes that means travelling the world. Two years ago, Stoetzel participated in a TED talent search, visiting 14 countries to find untapped speakers.

Lots of philanthropic work happens at SMU, and that taught me the importance of contributing to the world.”

Stoetzel also co-hosts and produces TEDActive in Whistler, British Colombia, Canada, a live event that combines the hallmark TED Talks with workshops, exhibits, demonstrations and other opportunities for active participation.
In fact, she does a lot of hosting for TED and TEDx. Before this year’s TEDxSMU, she co-hosted parts of October’s TEDGlobal in Brazil, including “Inside the Active Studio,” a more in-depth conversation with speakers.
“Six years ago, when SMU first did TEDxKids@SMU, I had never hosted an event for young people. I was scared because I didn’t know how to host for kids,” she says. “It was the most spectacular day I ever had in my working career. I saw kids change the way they wanted to learn. So doing events for youth has been my favorite thing since.”
During TEDxSMU, she seemed born for the role. The interplay between Stoetzel, the audience and the speakers is what makes a TEDx conference so different and what makes her so special. She did not just go on stage and read from a script; she incorporated the audience into the experience, encouraging them to talk to each other and the speakers. Her easy-going manner, coupled with the great rapport between her and co-host John G. Rives, made everyone feel like they were part of an intimate conversation.

I chose SMU because of the fantastic professors, and I wanted to combine my interests in advertising and art. Also, the liberal arts education – learning about so many different topics – was important to me. And that knowledge has carried over with my work for TED today.”

SMU alumna Kelly Stoetzel '91 (front row, third from left) with speakers at TEDxSMU November 1.
SMU alumna Kelly Stoetzel ’91 (front row, third from left) with speakers at TEDxSMU November 1.

She may make it look easy, but her career path was not always so clear. As a student in Meadows School of the Arts, she majored in advertising with an art minor.
“I chose SMU because of the fantastic professors, and I wanted to combine my interests in advertising and art,” she says. “Also, the liberal arts education – learning about so many different topics – was important to me. And that knowledge has carried over with my work for TED today.
“And, lots of philanthropic work happens at SMU, and that taught me the importance of contributing to the world,” she adds.
SMU is also where she met her husband, Lee Stoetzel ’90, ’93, and “made so many good friends.”
She says she found her calling in a reverse order, with each step of the way contributing to where she is now.
“I didn’t graduate from college knowing for sure what I wanted to do. I went down a couple of paths before I landed at the right place,” she says. “But, that’s OK. By continuing to figure out what I did and did not enjoy, and what I naturally was good at, I think I just figured out that my job was to help other people communicate. I also feel committed to giving people a platform to make an impact.”

I didn’t graduate from college knowing for sure what I wanted to do. I went down a couple of paths before I landed at the right place. But, that’s OK.”

Stoetzel’s introduction to TED was through her father. He attended the first TED conference in 1984, a lone event focused on technology, engineering and design – the “t-e-d” in TED – and was hooked. She says her family used to poke fun at her dad for his TED fervor. But, after attending some TED conferences herself, she became hooked, too. She came to know the director of TED, Chris Anderson, and when he relocated the headquarters from California to New York, she jumped at the opportunity to become permanently involved.
“I’ve gotten to work with so many amazing people,” she says, “and it is not necessarily the big names. To me some of the most interesting people are not household names. They are people who are innovating because they need to or love to. TED is about getting other people’s work out into the world.”
Even after 10 years, no TED is the same, she says.
“We are constantly working at doing a better job at programming and details for the next year. It’s not about a lecture, it’s about a conversation. Even down to the theater design, it’s about connecting with the audience. And TEDxSMU is one of the best TEDx events in the country because they put a lot of energy and care into the program.”
– Leah Johnson ’15