News Uncategorized

Miguel A. Quiñones: Savoring Teachable Moments

Professor Miguel Quiñones, right, talks with Paul Curry, a Hunt Leadership Scholar. “There are two primary reasons why I teach. First, I like making a difference in our students’ lives. My hope is that the concepts and insights that I cover in class will help our students be more effective and successful in their work […]

Quinones_23830D.jpg

Professor Miguel Quiñones, right, talks with Paul Curry, a Hunt Leadership Scholar.

“There are two primary reasons why I teach. First, I like making a difference in our students’ lives. My hope is that the concepts and insights that I cover in class will help our students be more effective and successful in their work and home lives. The second reason is that I love to learn. I have never taught a class when I didn’t learn something new and interesting from the students and from preparing to teach the class.
“Life is full of teachable moments. Sometimes they come in the form of a student’s struggles with work-related issues or in current events they read about in the news.
It is very exciting when the students are engaged with a topic and use their experiences and understanding of the course materials to analyze and debate alternative points of view. I get charged up by lively class discussions.”
Miguel A. Quiñones, the O. Paul Corley Distinguished Chair in Organizational Behavior, Cox School of Business, joined SMU in 2006. Quiñones received the M.B.A. Outstanding Teaching Award in 2009 and 2010 and the Distinguished University Citizen Award and the Carl Sewell Distinguished Service to the Community Award in 2010.