News Uncategorized

Crista DeLuzio: Past, Present And Future

Professor Crista DeLuzio, right, with former student Andrea Kline ’08. “The most fundamental goal of my teaching is to enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of the history of the United States. In addition to providing students with information about what happened in the past, my lectures, discussions, and reading and writing assignments are geared toward […]

DeLuzio_23109D_012.jpg

Professor Crista DeLuzio, right, with former student Andrea Kline ’08.

“The most fundamental goal of my teaching is to enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of the history of the United States. In addition to providing students with information about what happened in the past, my lectures, discussions, and reading and writing assignments are geared toward cultivating in them the skills of the historian: the ability to search for evidence, to interpret it carefully, to weigh it judiciously and to use it to make original, educated and convincing arguments about the historical question or problem at hand.
“My classes aim to prepare students for the range of roles they will assume in their adult lives, not only as workers, but also as citizens in a democracy. At the end of the semester, I hope to leave my students more capable of reflecting on the ways they are shaped by the world around them and poised to discover some new possibilities for their shaping it in return.”
Crista DeLuzio, associate professor, Clements Department of History, Dedman College, joined SMU in 2000. DeLuzio is a 2009 Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor and 2004 Rotunda Outstanding Professor; she received the 2002 Deschner Teaching Award from the Women’s Studies Program.