SMU helps incoming students and their families transition to college with Academic Advising, Registration and Orientation (AARO). The two-day orientation sessions begin July 7 and end August 18, and will be followed August 19-23 by Mustang Corral.
- Mustang Minute: Click here or on the video to watch 2015 AARO leaders prepare for new students’ arrival.
At AARO, first-year and transfer students and their families learn about campus resources and academic expectations. During their AARO sessions, students:
- Meet and have one-on-one meetings with their academic adviser
- Register for fall classes
- Meet their AARO leaders, who are current SMU students
- Spend the night in Boaz Commons, one of SMU’s Residential Commons
- Learn about campus involvement opportunities
Along with their students, parents will learn about SMU academics and resources, and are encouraged to attend special parent and family programming.
During Mustang Corral, August 19-23, students will meet and interact with other incoming students, faculty, staff members and alumni. They will explore academic life and the spirit and traditions of SMU, and will participate in a retreat at Camp Corral, just south of Dallas.
Students participating in Mustang Corral move into their residence halls August 19. The deadline to register for Mustang Corral is August 15.
Get ready for the Hilltop:
- Register for AARO and Mustang Corral.
- Read the 2015 AARO Orientation Brochure.
- Common Reading 2015.
- Meet your financial aid adviser.
- Complete and submit the required Report of Health History and Consent for Medical Treatment for incoming students.
- Send-off parties for new SMU families
- What’s next? Other important dates and forms for incoming parents and students.
- New student checklist.
- A checklist for parents.