At the Fall 2013 Career and Internship Fair on September 19, students will have the opportunity to meet 112 companies and network with more than 270 employer representatives. Employers attending include the U.S. State Department, Neiman Marcus, Peace Corp, Scribe.ology, American Airlines, General Motors, KPMG, the FDIC, Ernst and Young, Deliotte, Hitachi Consulting and many others.
- Watch a video of the February 2013 Career and Internship Fair by Myles Taylor of SMU News
Sponsored by the SMU Hegi Family Career Development Center, the fair is set for noon to 4 p.m. at the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.
Darin Ford, director of the Hegi Career Center, says the event will open a variety of door for all SMU students, whether it is their first semester or their last. “Students are four times more likely to receive a job or internship offer if they have networked with someone in their dream company,” he says.
All majors are encouraged to attend the fair in order to gain real-world practice by using the skills and knowledge they’ve acquired in the classroom, says Ford.
To prepare for the fair, Hegi Career Center counselors suggest:
- Dress for success by wearing professional business attire;
- Print out and bring multiple copies of your résumé for the opportunity to network with multiple companies;
- Research the companies that will be in attendance and choose the ones that interest you most;
- Come early to meet with “fresh and ready” recruiters.
The center is offering extended drop-in hours – from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. – to help students prepare through September 18.
The center offers students and alumni multiple resources in addition to the biannual fair, including:
- One-on-one meetings with counselors, career assessments and a four-year plan;
- Discussions with industry panels composed of employers who provide professional advice;
- Workshops on interviewing, résumés and other career skills;
- MustangTRAK, an online database featuring hundreds of jobs and internships, and UCAN, or University Career Action Network, a shared internship database among universities across the country.
Alumni are invited to share their career expertise and mentor SMU students. Learn more at SMU Connection.