What should students do before they depart campus in May? I hope these tips will help make the transition to summer a bit easier.
• Forward mail to summer address.
• Pay fines for any overdue library books.
• Resell textbooks back to the bookstore.
• Clean their residence hall room or apartment to avoid penalty fees.
• Return all keys in the proper manner to avoid penalty fees.
• After finals, get a good night’s sleep before driving long distances home.
• If your student needs to store items over the summer, see “Summer storage” below.
Graduating seniors should do all of the above, PLUS:
• Request a refund on any remaining PONY Express Ca$h dollars. (Dollars roll over for all undergraduates.)
• Pick up robes for Commencement.
• See SMU’s Commencement Web site for complete graduation information.
• If you have student loans, check with Enrollment Services for the repayment schedule.
• Let the Hegi Family Career Development Center know of your plans after graduation. Graduate school? A job?
Students can pack and haul themselves and use any of several storage places around campus. They’ll need a car for this, since none of them is within walking distance of the residence halls. Ask about various discounts for SMU students such as first month for $1 or half off the second month. The rates vary, depending on size and whether the units are air-conditioned. It all depends on what you are packing.
• Assured Self Storage, at www.smustorage.com, will deliver boxes to residence halls for those renting storage space; when boxes are packed, Assured will send a truck to pick them up. Delivery back to campus or apartment in the fall is included. Call manager Ivan Philp at 214-824-9700.
• Public Storage units can be rented with a roommate or friend at Mockingbird Station (closest to campus); call 214-828-9542.
• Uncle Bob’s Self-Storage (formerly Lock-n-Key) is near Greenville and Lovers; call 214-368-2121. (Ask for Gail.)
• Door to Door Storage may work out to be a slightly more expensive option. The company will drop a storage unit in a parking space on campus. After students load it up, they pick it up and, in August, will drop it back for the fall semester. Permission and location of storage unit must be arranged in advance with Park ‘N Pony (214-768-7275). Call 972-484-6360 or toll free 888-366-7222 (extension 1) for Door to Door Storage.
• MoveCo.net, 972-250-1100, will move things from the resident hall or apartment, store it for the summer and return it in August. For a price, they will even do the packing.
• Stow & Go Self Storage is at 4070 N. Central Expressway; call 214-827-2777.
The semester certainly has gone by quickly. My best wishes to all!
Question for Deanie? Ask Deanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-768-4797.