The spring Career and Internship Fair sponsored by the SMU Hegi Family Career Development Center brought hundreds of students and alumni to the Hughes-Trigg Student Center to meet with more than 100 employers, including finance and insurance firms, technology and engineering companies, retailers, nonprofits and government agencies.
- Watch a video of the Career and Internship Fair by Myles Taylor of SMU News
Before the fair, the Hegi Career Center offers a Career Prep Day, where students participate with employers and alumni in events including Resumania and Speed Networking.
Career counselors encourage students to begin exploring internship opportunities and the career development process during their first year at SMU. “Today’s employers want to see not only solid GPA and campus involvement on students’ resumes, but also multiple relevant work experiences,” says Darin Ford, director of the Hegi Career Center.
The Hegi Career Center offers students and alumni multiple resources in addition to the fair, including:
- One-on-one meetings with counselors, career assessments and a four-year plan;
- Discussions with industry panels composed of employers who provide professional advice;
- Workshops on interviewing, résumés and other career skills;
- MustangTRAK, an online database featuring hundreds of jobs and internships, and UCAN, or University Career Action Network, a shared internship database among universities across the country.
Learn more about career development resources at smu.edu/career.
- Alumni are invited to share their career expertise and mentor SMU students. Learn more at SMU Connection.