SMU students, coaches and alumni join the world to gear up for the 2012 Summer Olympics that will be held in London from July 27 to August 12.
Watch for these current and former Mustangs as they compete:
- Former Mustang swimmer Laura (Reback) Bennett (’97) has qualified for the USA Triathlon team. This is Bennett’s second Olympic Games after placing fourth in the 2008 Beijing Games. Bennett was a four-year NCAA All-American at SMU.
- Former SMU tennis All-American Johan Brunstrom will represent Sweden in doubles competition. In 2001 and 2002 Brunstrom was an All-American in doubles at SMU, and in singles in 2003.
- This is the third Olympic Games for Anja Carman (’08) of Slovenia, who will compete in the 200-meter backstroke.
- The 2012 London Games will be the sixth Olympics for Swedish swimmer Lars Frolander as he competes in the 100-meter butterfly.
- Swimmer Sara Nordenstam (’06) will represent Norway in the 200-meter breaststroke. She won the Bronze Medal for the same event in the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Current SMU swimmer Nina Rangelova (’14) of Bulgaria will compete in the 100-, 200- and 400-meter freestyle events.
- Current Mustang swimmer Mindaugas Sadauskas (’13) will represent Lithuania in the 100-meter freestyle.
- Recent SMU graduate Denisa Smolenova (’12) will race for Slovakia in the 100-meter butterfly.
- Therese Svendsen (’12) of Sweden will compete in both the 200-meter backstroke and on the 4X100 medley relay races.
- Incoming first-year Mustang swimmer Danielle Villars will represent Switzerland in the 100-meter butterfly and the 200-meter freestyle competitions.