Senior Awarded Internship with National Journalism Center

RachelD.jpg Senior Rachel Duke has been selected to serve a summer internship with the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C. The journalism major in Meadows School of the Arts and history minor in Dedman College was one of 38 students from across the country chosen for the 12-week program. The paid internship includes seminars on reporting and lectures with prominent journalists and public policy experts, as well as work with a media outlet.

Duke is assigned to the daily newspaper The Washington Times, where she is reporting about family and social issues. “I’m learning how to anticipate, to think more carefully and ask more critical and hard questions,” she says. “I’m looking forward to how I’ll grow as a writer this summer, the people I’ll meet, and the experiences I’ll go through.”

After completing two years of study at Richland Community College in Dallas, Duke was awarded an Honor Transfer Scholarship to attend SMU. During summer 2009, she participated in SMU-in-Taos and SMU-in-London, and she had a journalism internship with 2ndSaturday in West Dallas during spring 2010.

Duke, who has been a contributing writer and photographer to The Daily Campus and The Daily Mustang, says she applied for the competitive internship at the National Journalism Center just a few days before its deadline, with the encouragement of her professors. “As a journalist, I want to use my writing to fight for the freedom and democracy of this nation,” she says.

Duke is blogging about her summer in Washington here.

• Read Rachel Duke’s first story for The Washington Times, about Al and Tipper Gore, published June 3, and her first front-page story, published June 7.
Read Duke’s staff biography and find links to all of her Washington Times articles.
Hear Duke on the radio program “Inside the Story” with Rick Amato.

About Sarah Hanan

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.