Rare German photographs from Eastern Front, World War I

 Offizier-Korps der Flieger Abt. 27

Offizier-Korps der Flieger Abt. 27 (Officer corps of Flight Squadron 27), Spring 1918

SMU DeGolyer Library’s Der Vormarsch der Flieger Abteilung 27 in der Ukraine (The Advance of Flight Squadron 27 in the Ukraine) is now available online.  This portfolio, comprising 263 photographs mounted on 48 pages, is in effect a photo-documentary of the German occupation of and military advances through the southern Ukraine in the spring and summer of 1918. As such, it provides a rare glimpse into German military and reconnaissance maneuvers in the Eastern Front at the close of World War I.

Both the full portfolio and the 263 individual photos, scanned at a higher resolution, are available.

Gesprengte Bruecke ueber die Samara

Gesprengte Bruecke ueber die Samara (Bombed bridge over the Samara), Spring 1918, Samara Fiver, Dnipropetrovs’ka Oblast, Ukraine

The photographs in this collection include dozens of rare aerial views; German and Russian military equipment; German and captured French aircraft; city and rural scenery; railroads, ports, bridges and infrastructure; landmarks and historic buildings; local civilians; military parades, funeral processions and burials; and soldiers, officers, and political figures.

The photographs show troops, people, and scenery in cities and towns such as Kovel, Rivene Zhytomir, Smila, Kiev, Yekaterinoslav (Dnipropetrovs’k), Taganrog, Rostov-on-Don, Novocherkassk, Sevastapol, Yalta, Kerch, and more. The portfolio contains numerous aerial shots, presumably taken for reconnaissance purposes, including many photos that depict battles and/or destruction underway. Of particular interest are photographs we have identified of Kaiser Wilhelm II, General Karl Albert von Knoerzer, Generalfeldmarschal Hermann von Eichhorn, and Pavlo Skoropadsky.

Brennende Ziegelei westlich Rostow

Brennende Ziegelei westlich Rostow, (Burning brickyard west of Rostov), Rostov-on-Don, Rostov Oblast, Russia, ca. May 1918

Another set of photographs in the portfolio show the take-over of Rostov-on-Don by the Germans and their allies in May 1918. One page shows photographs of the negotiations underway during the take-over. We have tentatively identified the Bolshevik negotiators, who are blind-folded, as Kliment Voroshilov, Sergo Ordzhonikidze, and Sergei Syrtsov.

Bolschewistischer Panzerwagen

Bolschewistischer Panzerwagen, (Bolshevik armored train car), Chaplino, Dnipropetrovs’ka oblast, Ukraine, Spring 1918

Many images in the collection illuminate the juxtaposition between the professional and personal sides of the men in the squadron. There are 11 photographs that show Bobby, a French Bulldog, who belonged to one of the members of Flight Squadron 27. Several photographs show squadron members posing with civilians, including women, peasants, servants, and gypsies. Other photographs show an outdoor concerts and carnivals, as well as images of squadron members swimming. A number of photographs show the burials and/or funerals of various people who died during this time, including the burial of several members of Flight Squadron 27, who died in a railway collision at Oleksandriya on March 27, 1918.

The aerial photography is notable. The photographs include aerial shots of Kiev, Yekaterinoslav (now Dnipropetrovs’k), Taganrog, Novocherkassk, Yeysk, Rostov-on-Don, Bataysk, Sevastopol, and Simferpol.

DeGolyer Library digital collections are part of CUL Digital Collections, which contain thousands of digitized photographs, manuscripts, imprints, and works of art held by SMU’s Central University Libraries special collections.

Posted in aerial photographs, World War i | Leave a comment

CUL Digital Collections Update: February 2013

CUL Digital Collections

[Dugan Brothers, Portrait of African-American executive], 1938

[Dugan Brothers, Portrait of African-American executive], 1938, by Robert Yarnall Richie

In February 2013, CUL uploaded 416 items into our CONTENTdm collections. CUL now has approximately 30,437 published items.Highlights include:188 Texas-related oil negativesby Robert Yarnall Richie as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant34 negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie, including the 20 items from the Dugan Brothers Bakery, 1938

To de Potrero del Llano, Pozo No. 4, 1910.

To de Potrero del Llano, Pozo No. 4, 1910

31 photographs of the Potrero del Llano oil field camp from Folder 2, Oil Album in the Manning Texas and Mexico collection

21 works on paper by Jerry Bywaters, thanks to funds from the Texas Art Collectors Organization

17 items were uploaded or reformatted as compound objects from Alexander Gardner’s seminal 1866 work, Gardner’s Photographic Sketch Book of the War

Untitled (mural painting study) by Jerry Bywaters

Untitled (mural painting study) by Jerry Bywaters

22 cards from the Baldwin Locomotive Works builder’s cards

7 photographs from Photographs of Mexico by Lorenzo Becerril

100 Cantonment Burgwin Postings from Series 06, U.S. Army Continental Commands 1822-1861. Record Group 393. Orders.


Posted in Mexico photography, Robert Yarnall Richie, Texas artists | Leave a comment

CUL Digital Collections: January 2013

CUL Digital Collections

Larry Hagman and guests at the Rosewood Crescent ClubIn January 2013, CUL uploaded 346 items into our CONTENTdm collections. CUL now has approximately 30,021 published items.

Highlights include:

15 negatives of Larry Hagman from the J. Allen Hansley photographs at the Rosewood Crescent Club, 1988

30 videos from the SMU Video Archive Series producted by Central University Libraries

Halliburton Lab, June 1940, by Robert Yarnall Richie131 Texas-related oil negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant

26 photographs in the Texas Instruments Records collection

12 card photographs from the Albert L. Beach photographs of Texas and Mexico

20 cards from the Baldwin Locomotive Works builder’s cards

Untitled drawing by Perry Nichols26 prints and drawings of Texas art, including 11 drawings by Perry Nichols and
10 prints and drawings by DeForrest Judd

Encyclopadie des Landwirthschaft (Encyclopedia of Agriculture) by Edward Eisenlohr, comprising 44 pages

Ein Verlobungs – Epos des Glycerinus Bombenmeier. (Epic Poem for the Betrothal of Glycerinus and Bombenmeier.) by Edward Eisenlohr, comprising 16 pages

Dutch soldier at Aruba guarding Lago, 1939, by Robert Yarnall Richie24 negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie, including the Lago Refinery in Aruba on the brink of World War II and King Ibn. Saud and Prince Saud bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia ca. 1946

Fame and fortune weekly. Stories of boys who make money. Fighting for fame or the struggles of a young author and other stories.

The horse thief, or, The maiden and Negro: a tale of the prairies.

Posted in Mexico photography, Robert Yarnall Richie, Texas artists, Texas Instruments, Texas oil | Leave a comment

DeGolyer Library photos of the Klondike Gold Rush

Str Nora at Bennett, ca. 1896-1899

Str Nora at Bennett, ca. 1896-1899

Thirty-three prints from the DeGolyer Library’s Alaska, photographs accession are available on line. The photos document the Klondike Gold Rush in the late 1890s.

Gold was originally discovered in 1896 in the Yukon Territory of Canada. Over the next 4 years an estimated 100,000 people migrated north in search of gold. Prospectors searching for gold often began their journey in Seattle and then proceeded north to the gold fields in the Yukon Territory of Canada.

The native Tlingit and Tagish tribes navigated and utilized northern trade routes known as the Chilkoot and White Pass Trails, both of which became preferred routes of the Klondikers. The arrangement of the photographs within the collection reflects major stops along the popular Chilkoot Trail and then north to White Horse.

 Ho! For the Atlin Gold Fields.

Ho! For the Atlin Gold Fields.

The Chilkoot Trail, a 33-mile trek from Dyea, Alaska, to Bennett, British Columbia, gained popularity for its direct route and cheap rates. En route to Dyea, prospectors went through Skagway, Alaska, as seen in On The Skagway Wagon Road. During the late 1890s Skagway existed as a lawless, corrupt city dominated by a famous gangster known as Jefferson “Soapy” Smith.  However, many residents chose to stay in Skagway and provide goods and services to the Klondikers. In the photo Str Lady Lake – Skagway, prospectors are seen arriving at Kelly & Co. Druggists, a popular pharmaceutical and apothecary supplier specializing in the needs of traders and prospectors in the area.

Tram Around White Horse Rapids., ca. 1896-1899

Tram Around White Horse Rapids., ca. 1896-1899

Another stop frequented by Klondikers, Bennett, British Columbia, appears in numerous photographs within the collection. While in Bennett, prospectors made preparations for the final push towards Dawson City and the goldfields. Malnutrition and starvation were common among Klondikers due to frigid temperatures and the lack of food available on the trails. In Killing Cattle at Lake Bennett for Dawson, prospectors are seen preparing cattle, most likely for their own consumption while on the trip to the goldfields.

The remainder of the trip, over water, required prospectors to build or purchase rafts or boats in which to travel. Tents fashioned into general stores, like the one depicted in Wilson’s Store at Bennett – Aug. 1898, provided Klondikers with at least some of the needed supplies to finish their journeys to Dawson.

The Alaska, photographs are part of the U.S. West: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection, which provides a sample of the photographs, images, albums, and more, relating to the U.S. West held by SMU’s DeGolyer Library.

Tagish Post, North West Mounted Police

Tagish Post, North West Mounted Police

Sources of Information

Skagway: Gateway to the Klondike, http://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/75skagway/75skagway.htm

University of Washington Digital Collections, Early Advertising of the West, http://content.lib.washington.edu/u?/advert,127

The Klondike Gold Rush, http://content.lib.washington.edu/extras/goldrush.html

Posted in U.S. West | Leave a comment

Texas Instruments Records Digital Collection

[Jack Kilby holding microchips and the first Cal-Tech calculator presented to Patrick E. Haggerty on March 29, 1967]

[Jack Kilby holding microchips and the first Cal-Tech calculator presented to Patrick E. Haggerty on March 29, 1967]


SMU’s CUL Digital Collections has made available the Texas Instruments Records digital collection, which contains hundreds of photographic images and documents from the Texas Instruments (TI) records archive held by SMU’s DeGolyer Libraryand/or TI headquarters.

Silicon Grown Junction Transistor [original sketch by Mort Jones], 1954

Silicon Grown Junction Transistor [original sketch by Mort Jones], 1954

The Texas Instruments Records physical collection consists of over 1500 cubic feet of corporate records, photographs, and artifacts. The archive includes records of TI’s predecessor company, Geophysical Service Incorporated (GSI), papers of key executives, documents from key projects, early inventions, prototype products, and samples of consumer and business products. The collection documents the company’s extraordinary history, breadth of technological expertise, and role in the technological revolution. It is an especially rich source for students of business history, technology, and engineering.

First Transistor Radio, 1954

First Transistor Radio, 1954

Organized in 1930 as Geophysical Service, the company was formed to provide oil exploration services using the reflection seismograph. This technology used sound waves to look deep into the earth to search for oil deposits. By decade’s end, the company’s seismic crews were engaged by the world’s largest oil companies in virtually every major oil field.

Through reorganization, the oil exploration unit became a subsidiary named Geophysical Service Inc. (GSI). In 1941, the GSI subsidiary was sold to Eugene McDermott (cofounder of Geophysical Service) and key employees J. Erik Jonsson, Cecil H. Green, and H. Bates Peacock. In 1951, the company name was changed to Texas Instruments Incorporated, and in 1953, TI obtained its listing on the New York Stock Exchange.

[First TI logo], January 1951

[First TI logo], January 1951

Early developments include submarine-detection equipment (1941), the first commercial production of silicon transistors (1954), side-looking radar (1955), the integrated circuit (IC) (1958), thermal printing (1965), the electronic hand-held calculator (1967), thermocompression wire-bonding for IC assembly (1969), laser-guidance systems for missiles (1969), and the computer-on-a-chip (1971).

More recent developments include three-dimensional (3D) seismic data processing technology (1975), speech synthesis chips (1978), digital signal processors (1982), quantum-effect ICs that operate at room temperature (1993), and Digital Light Processing™ (DLP™) (1995).

[Klixon-type thermostat]

[Klixon-type thermostat]

The company is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with sales or manufacturing operations in more than 25 countries worldwide. Current businesses include semiconductors and technology. More information about TI is available on TI web site in the History of Innovationsection.

The digital collection contains a sampling of major Record Groups within the physical collection. For more information on how the physical collection is arranged, please view the finding aid.

Posted in Texas Instruments | Leave a comment

CUL Digital Collections Update: December 2012

 

CUL Digital Collections

[First TI logo], January 1951 In December, staff at SMU’s CUL Digital Collections created a new web page for and uploaded 218 files into the new Texas Instruments Records digital collection. This was a joint project with TI.

We created a web page for, made fully public, and added 38 additional items into the Belo Records, 1842-2007 digital collection. Dallas Morning News Bldg., Dallas, Texas, ca. 1900-1901

Shown above left: [First TI logo], January 1951, from the new Texas Instruments Records digital collection. Right: Dallas Morning News Bldg., Dallas, Texas, ca. 1900-1901, from the Belo Records, 1842-2007 digital collection.

In December 2012, CUL uploaded 735 items into our CONTENTdm collections. CUL now has approximately 29,675 published items.

Highlights include:

page 19 from Everett Spruce's Make-A-Note brand sketchbookEverett Spruce’s Ennis Figure Pads brand sketchbook, ca. 1950s, comprising 26 pages of sketches, as part of the Texas Art Collectors Organization (TACO) digitization fund

Everett Spruce’s Make-A-Note brand sketchbook, comprising 50 pages, as part of the TACO digitization fund

Everett Spruce’s [E. Spruce Sketches 1931-32 sketchbook], 1931-1932, comprising 65 pages, as part of the TACO digitization fund

Everett Spruce’s [Rembrandt Oil and Water Colors brand sketchbook], ca. 1940-1941, comprising 15 pages, as part of the TACO digitization fund

Everett Spruce’s [Loose individual sketches], ca. 1939-1940, comprising 41 sketches, as part of the TACO digitization fund

Anti-aircraft, Puerto Rico, pre-war, 193923 Texas-related oil negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant

34 transparencies of Puerto Rico in 1939 by Robert Yarnall Richie

59 early campus newspapers from 1936 in the Southern Methodist University Student Newspapers collection

 [Temple of the Jaguar #68], 1938, by Octavio Medellin105 slides in Octavio Medellin: Works of Art and Artistic Processes

44 stereoviews from Western expedition, railroad and survey stereographs

Shown top right: Sketch of a tree by Everett Spruce, one of some 200 pages of his sketches that were uploaded in December.  Above right: Anti-aircraft, Puerto Rico, pre-war is from a set of negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie documenting the development of the armed forces in Puerto Rico at the onset of World War II. Above right: [Temple of the Jaguar #68], 1938, by Octavio Medellin, was one of 15 Mayan-inspired slides also uploaded into CUL’s Flickr: The Commons Photostream this month.

 

Posted in Belo Records, Robert Yarnall Richie, Texas artists, Texas Instruments | Leave a comment

CUL Digital Collections Update: November 2012

CUL Digital Collections

New additions to CUL Digital Collections in November 2012

Bow view - 'Lusitania' from the The Cunard Express Steamer 'Lusitania' booklet, 1906In November 2012, CUL uploaded 640 items into our CONTENTdm collections. CUL now has approximately 28,940 published items.

Highlights include:

92 Texas-related oil negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant

38 negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie, including 14 aerial views of mansions and other places in New York and 18 negatives of musicians in the Houston Symphony Orchestra from October 1940

The Cunard Express Steamer “Lusitania” pamphlet, 1906

57 early campus newspapers in the Southern Methodist University Student Newspapers collection

Hunting journal, [page 65], watercolorPhotographic views of Sherman’s campaign, from negatives taken in the field, ca. 1864-1866, by George Barnard, containing 61 prints and an accompanying booklet.

33 photographs showing various scenes in Alaska and Canada during the Gold Rush of the late 1890s

Hunting journal, 1877, a 94-page document by Algernon Heber Percy and his wife

179 slides in Octavio Medellin: Works of Art and Artistic Processes

10 images from the El Paso, Texas and Paseo del Norte, Mexico photographs

59 documents in the Cantonment Burgwin Postings collection

10 cards from the Baldwin Locomotive Works builder’s cards

Shown above right: Bow view – ‘”Lusitania” from the The Cunard Express Steamer “Lusitania” booklet, 1906, uploaded this month. Shown above left: Watercolor from page 65 of Hunting Journal, 1877.

Posted in Civil War, Robert Yarnall Richie, Texas artists, Texas oil, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Photographic views of William T. Sherman’s campaign available online

Ruins of the Pinckney Mansion, Charleston, S.C.

Ruins of the Pinckney Mansion, Charleston, S.C.

George N. Barnard was one of the most skilled and versatile cameramen of the Civil War, photographing in the Virginia area, Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina. He worked independently and for E. & H.T. Anthony & Co., Brady & Co. and Alexander Gardner.

Ruins in Columbia, S.C. No. 2.

Ruins in Columbia, S.C. No. 2.

More mobile than many operators, in late 1863, Barnard was hired by the Topographical Branch of the Department of Engineers, Army of the Cumberland to make photographs in the West. Barnard worked in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville and from there went to Atlanta. He documented the destruction in Atlanta and then followed General William Tecumseh Sherman to the coast. Barnard personally found the destruction of the Atlanta disturbing.

Exterior view of Fort Sumpter [sic].

Exterior view of Fort Sumpter [sic].

During the war, Barnard conceived the idea of a photographically illustrated book similar to Gardner’s Photographic Sketch Book of the War. Barnard realized he needed more plates for his publication having been slowed during the war by the rapid movements of the army and went back out in the field to photograph areas he missed.

His resultant book, Photographic views of Sherman’s campaign, from negatives taken in the field is held by SMU’s DeGolyer Library and now available online in SMU’s CUL Digital Collections in the Civil War: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints collection.

Exterior view of Fort Sumpter [sic].[/caption]The volume of 61 stunning albumen silver prints taken between 1864 and 1866 starts in Nashville and ends in Charleston. It is accompanied by a booklet, also online, with information about the plates and related Civil War battles.

After the war, Barnard continued his photographic work in Charleston, Chicago, Alabama and New York.

Posted in Civil War | Leave a comment

Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey, Edwin J. Foscue Map Library

Close up from Grid 08: White Rock Lake (unlabeled), Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey

Close up from Grid 08: White Rock Lake (unlabeled), Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey

SMU’s CUL Digital Collections has made available the Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA  Survey. This online collection complements the Dallas Historic Aerial Photographs, 1930 Fairchild Survey.

There are 16 pairs of images in the Dallas Aerial Photographs, USDA 1945 Survey digital collection that portray various locations in the Dallas metropolitan area as well as Irving, Grand Prairie, and Hutchins. The original photographs were taken by the Army Air Forces for the United States Department of Agriculture and were developed by the Western Aerial Photographic Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah. The purpose of the photographs was to survey farmland, which covered large portions of the Dallas area at the time.

The aerial survey collection is housed in the Edwin J. Foscue Map Library. The library worked with regional historian George Cearley to identify important features in the photographs such as major roads, railways, and landmarks. In the digital collection, there are two versions of each image, labeled and unlabeled. Labeled images include markers that correspond to a legend that appears below the image.

Close up of Grid 02, showing Field Circle, junction of Highways 77 / 114 / 183, Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey

Close up of Grid 02, showing Field Circle, junction of Highways 77 / 114 / 183, Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey

The United States Department of Agriculture’s Farm Security Agency created aerial photographs as a means of surveying farmland. The practice of surveying began shortly after the 1933 Agricultural Adjustment Act introduced programs that would require farmers to provide accurate measurements in order to participate. Farm programs were designed to stabilize prices, arbitrate mortgage agreements, and insure loans for rural housing and business. Originally, surveying was done by placing chains around fields and creating hand drawn maps. By the 1940s, aerial photography was used as a more efficient and accurate method, and the USDA created two aerial photography labs, one in Asheville, North Carolina, and the other in Salt Lake City, Utah (which developed this set of images). USDA aerial photography was consolidated to the Aerial Photography Field Office (APFO) in Salt Lake City in 1976.

Posted in aerial photographs, Texas photographs | Leave a comment

CUL Digital Collections Update: October 2012

Refinery, Humble Oil and Refining Co., TX

Refinery, Humble Oil and Refining Co., TX, October 1949, Robert Yarnall Richie photographs

In October 2012, SMU Central University Libraries uploaded 624 items into CUL Digital Collections. CUL now has approximately 28,300 published items.

Highlights include:

47 Texas-related oil negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant

38 negatives by Robert Yarnall Richie, including aerial views of Palm Beach and other estates, as well as family photos

57 photographs and real photographic postcards from the Brehme Photographs of Mexico

32 aerial photographs from the Foscue Map Library’s Dallas Aerial Photographs, 1945 USDA Survey

Thomas W. Dealey, drawing by John Francis Knott, 1942

Thomas W. Dealey, drawing by John Francis Knott, 1942

27 photographs and sketches from the Belo Records, 1888-2007, including 22 portrait drawings of Belo executives and journalists, by artist John Knott

266 slides in Octavio Medellin: Works of Art and Artistic Processes

36 items
from the Manning Texas and Mexico Collection, including five aerial photographs of Tampico and Veracruz by the Fairlchild Aerial Survey, and 31 postcards of Mexican volcanos, street scenes, and people.

114 early campus newspapers in the Southern Methodist University Student Newspapers collection

6 cartes de visite and stereoviews relating to the Civil War

Shown above right: [Sabine Transportation oil tanker, ”Brazos”], 1956, Port Arthur, TX, by Robert Yarnall Richie, was uploaded as part of the TexTreasures FY2013 grant. Shown left: Col. A.H. Belo, drawing by John Knott, 1944.

Posted in aerial photographs, Mexico photography, Robert Yarnall Richie, Texas oil | Leave a comment