by Lauren Carter, ’19

Kylie Madry, a senior at Southern Methodist University, did not originally plan on staying in North Texas for college.

She was ready to leave behind her hometown of McKinney, Texas, but once she visited the campus, and specifically the journalism department, she changed her mind. 

Dallas Morning News internship

The breaking news interns at the Dallas Morning News

“I visited during a Meadows Scholars event and just fell in love with the school. I decided I had to come here,” Madry said.

As editor-in-chief of the Daily Campus, Madry breaks major SMU news. When Lambda Chi Alpha was kicked off campus in 2016, Madry was first on the scene. She believes it helped her stand out in an internship application. The journalism and political science double major landed her first internship with The Dallas Morning News her junior year. Madry is on her third term as a breaking news intern.

“It’s been such a crazy experience,” Madry said. “As an intern, you’re really treated like you are an employee. You aren’t just grabbing coffee for them; you are a journalist.” The hands-on involvement is something Madry appreciates greatly.SMU Journalism Student Kylie Madry“It’s been such a big growth experience,” Madry said. “I love the environment there. Being in the classroom can only teach you so much.”

Her favorite story for The Dallas Morning News was one that got over half a million reads. Madry covered the clown-related threats within the Dallas-Fort Worth area in October 2016. She had no idea it would be such a successful read. Mike Wilson, the newspaper’s editor, loved the story so much he put the link in his Twitter bio.

Madry is also studying Spanish at SMU. She traveled to the Republican National Convention last summer with the Meadows School to work with CNN. There, she was paired with CNN en Español, the network’s 24-hour Spanish language television and radio news channel, and recognized her passion for Spanish-language journalism. Teaching English in Panama for the year of 2019 is now on her radar.

“I really enjoy using my Spanish knowledge and I think it’s fun,” Madry said. “I’m hoping that it can lead me to maybe working internationally.”

Madry’s time at SMU has opened many doors. She believes the tight-knit community and personal relationships with professors have aided her accomplishments and provided her with numerous opportunities.

“I love my professors and how personable they are here,” Madry said. “I love the fact that I get to call our department head by his first name.”

Follow SMU Journalism for more.