SMU Abroad

The Benefits of Studying Abroad

kaleb-leeThis past semester, I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia at the University of Sydney. This was my third abroad experience and I could not have had a more enjoyable time. I lived in Newtown, Sydney right off of campus and was taking classes on Australian culture. I learned how to surf on Bondi Beach, ate tons of kangaroos and spent many afternoons by the Sydney Opera House. While living in Sydney, I traveled to Melbourne, Thailand, the Whitsundays, Singapore, Cambodia, and Indonesia. I joined a competitive lifting team and competed in an Australian fitness competition called “F45”.

I left Australia in May to travel to South America for an internship with an MBB consulting firm in Bogota, Colombia. I stayed in Colombia over three months before returning to Dallas in late August. These past few months were absolutely incredible and I encourage every student to go abroad, not just once… but as many times as possible. Living outside of America is the one of the greatest learning opportunities an SMU partake in and I definitely consider my experiences in Oxford, Cambridge, Paris, Sydney and Bogota to be the highlight of my college career.

-Kaleb Lee

By Bridget Anderson

AA-EnrollServ(Recruitment)