Campus Life Life Around Dallas

Back on the Hilltop

1150320_10200527032207355_698717938_nBy John Angle

Can you believe it? Summer break is already over – again! I’m especially sad about this summer ending, as it’ll be my last one ever. The real world comes calling after this year! Although I’ll miss the ability to sleep in, not do homework, watch as much Netflix as my retinas can handle it is really great to be back on the Hilltop!

One of the things I’m most excited about this coming year at SMU will be serving as a student representative on the SMU Board of Trustees! At SMU one student serves as a full voting member of the Board of Trustees and one also sits on each of the trustee committees. I was lucky enough to be selected to sit on the Finance and Audit committees, and I could not be more excited. My first audit committee meeting is this week and am enjoying thoroughly pouring over all the information and data they already provided me.  It’s exciting to have the opportunity to serve alongside many of the important business and civic leaders who also serve as Trustees and to give back to SMU in a new way.

On an unrelated – and much more fun – note I played Dallas tour guide all weekend as one of my closest childhood friends, Elizabeth, came to visit me from Atlanta.  Over the long Labor Day weekend we got in a Boulevard and the Texas Tech/SMU game, the Katy Trail, White Rock Lake, Klyde Warren Park, Perot Science Museum, and a Rangers game. We also ate our weight in barbeque, Tex-Mex, pizza, cupcakes, burgers, and some of the other awesome food Dallas has to offer. We’re lucky here to live in one of the most fun cities in America to be a young person – there is always something going on, it’s filled with cool people, and there is amazing food. It was a hot but incredibly fun weekend that reminded me how much I love my adoptive city!